Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL) Building Use Policy
Welcome to the Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL), the University of Texas Libraries main library.
Access to the Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL) is currently limited to researchers who are affiliated with the University of Texas at Austin and have a valid UT Austin issued ID.
PCL users are expected to:
- Follow social distancing signage and guidelines.
- Provide a current UTID or Virtual ID for access to PCL
- Refrain from disruptive behavior. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Assault or intimidation of staff or users through language or actions, including refusing to social distance or wear a UT approved mask/face covering.
- Any behavior that creates excessive noise or commotion.
- Refusing to leave the library when directed.
- Entering areas of the library marked "Staff Only”.
- Violating any UT policies, including but not limited to Title IX and sexual harassment policies.
- Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs, and selling, using or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs.
- Entering the library barefoot or without a shirt, or otherwise being attired in a manner that is disruptive to the environment.
- Having offensive body odor or personal hygiene that unreasonably interferes with other patrons’ ability to use the library and its facilities.
- Using restrooms for bathing or shampooing, doing laundry, or changing clothes.
- Leaving packages, backpacks, luggage, or any other personal items unattended.
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals, into the library.
- Using audible devices without headphones or with headphones set at a volume that disturbs others.
- Talking on cell phones in areas other than the main lobby and the elevator lobbies.
- Filming or taking photographs in the library without prior authorization.
- Marking Libraries materials with pencil, ink, post it notes, tape, paper clips, bending corners of pages and lying books open facedown.
- Ripping or cutting pages out of Libraries materials; scan materials instead.
- Taking Libraries materials out of the library without first checking them out.
- Theft of or damage to furniture or equipment, to include writing on the table tops or graffiti of any sort.
- Rearranging or moving furniture or equipment.
- Using extension, adaptor or power cords in a way that poses a safety hazard for others.
- Use of wheeled transportation is prohibited in PCL, including but not limited to bicycles, scooters, hoverboards and skateboards. Bicycles or motorized transportation devices are not permitted in PCL at any time. Use of mobility aids, including wheelchairs and walkers, is permitted. Skateboards must be carried when in the building.
- Touching or sitting on the art and sculpture in the library.
- Using tobacco products (Nonsmoking Policy).
- Sleeping at computer workstations or while using in-house use Libraries materials; sleeping under other circumstances is highly discouraged due to vulnerability. Sleeping individuals may be awakened by library staff in order to ensure their safety/well-being.
- Disrespectful or rude behavior toward UT staff.
- Installing unauthorized software and/or changing setups on computer equipment (Libraries Computer, Software and Network Use Policy; Campus IT Policies.
- Posting signs, distributing literature, gathering signatures, soliciting contributions, tabling or conducting surveys inside PCL without Libraries authorization.
- With the exception of Libraries-sponsored events, non-reservable public spaces must remain open to all library users. No group or individual may keep another group or individuals from using the space.
Note: Anyone engaging in disruptive behavior may be denied further access to the Libraries.