Kuehne Physics, Mathematics & Astronomy (PMA) Library Facility Use Policy
Welcome to the Kuehne Physics, Mathematics & Astronomy (PMA) Library, a branch of the University of Texas Libraries.
We welcome researchers who are not affiliated with the University of Texas, however, our focus remains on the educational, research, and study needs of current University of Texas students, faculty, and staff.
This Facility Use Policy has been created to protect the rights and safety of PMA users and staff, and for preserving and protecting PMA materials, equipment, and facilities.
The PMA and its staff are expected to provide:
- Space for users that is clean, well lit and safe.
- Tools for users to find and use information quickly and efficiently.
- Service that is courteous, knowledgeable and respectful.
- New services and changes to existing services, in support of our mission.
- Access, within specific guidelines, to the Libraries’ collections, and to collections from other institutions.
PMA users are expected to:
- Refrain from disruptive behavior. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Assault or intimidation of staff or users through language or actions.
- Any behavior that creates excessive noise or commotion.
- Refusing to leave the library at closing time or during an evacuation.
- Entering areas of the library marked "Staff Only.”
- Engaging in sexual harassment and/or overt sexual behavior.
- Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs, and selling, using or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs.
- Entering the library barefoot or without a shirt, or otherwise being attired in a manner that is disruptive to the environment.
- Having offensive body odor or personal hygiene that unreasonably interferes with other patrons’ ability to use the library and its facilities.
- Using restrooms for bathing or shampooing, doing laundry, or changing clothes.
- Leaving packages, backpacks, luggage or any other personal items unattended.
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children.
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals, into the library.
- Using audible devices without headphones or with headphones set at a volume that disturbs others.
- Talking on cell phones, tablets, or laptops. Cell phones, tablets, and laptops should not be used for conversations within the PMA Library—calls should be taken in the RLM lobby.
- Filming or taking photographs in the library without prior authorization.
- Refrain from marking Libraries materials with pencil, ink, post it notes, tape, paper clips, bending corners of pages and lying books open facedown.
- Refrain from ripping or cutting pages out of Libraries materials; scan or photocopy materials instead.
- Refrain from taking Libraries materials out of the library without first checking them out.
- Refrain from theft of or damage to furniture or equipment, to include writing on the table tops or graffiti of any sort.
- Refrain from using extension, adaptor or power cords in a way that poses a safety hazard for others.
- Refrain from using wheeled transportation in PMA, including but not limited to bicycles, scooters, hoverboards, and skateboards. Bicycles are not permitted in PMA at any time. Mobility devices, including wheelchairs and walkers, are permitted at all times.
- Refrain from using tobacco products (Nonsmoking Policy).
- Food is only allowed in official functions where food is provided. Otherwise, please do not bring food into the library.
- Consume drinks responsibly.
- Non-alcoholic drinks in durable containers (no-spill and capped containers are encouraged) and food are allowed in public areas and study rooms.
- Use care with greasy, sticky, or crumbly foods, and food that has a strong odor.
- Please leave your study area clean for the next person
- Report spills or get cleaning supplies from the Front Desk.
- It is not permitted to order food and ask that it be delivered to the PMA Library Front Desk. Food may be delivered to, and retrieved in the RLM lobby.
- Refrain from sleeping at computer workstations or while using in-house use Libraries materials; sleeping under other circumstances is highly discouraged due to vulnerability. Sleeping individuals may be awakened by library staff in order to ensure their safety/well-being.
- Treat staff and other library users with courtesy and respect.
- Refrain from installing unauthorized software and/or changing setups on computer equipment (Libraries Computer, Software and Network Use Policy; Campus IT Policies).
- Refrain from posting signs, distributing literature, gathering signatures, soliciting contributions, tabling or conducting surveys without Libraries authorization.
- Without prior Libraries authorization, non-UT organizations and businesses are prohibited from using library spaces to conduct business or to recruit or solicit potential customers.
- Use the Group Study in accordance with the rules as follows:
- Group Study cannot be reserved. The room is available on a first-come first-serve basis.
- Priority is given to groups of two or more. An individual may be asked to relocate to a study carrel.
- Groups must clean up after themselves.
- Groups cannot “save” the room, and are not permitted to leave belongings unattended in the room.
- Use the Collaborative Study Space in accordance with the rules as follows:
- The Collaborative Study Space is for collaborative group study.
- When not reserved, the Collaborative Study Space is available on a first come-first served basis to UT Austin students for collaborative group study. Walk-up groups take precedence over individuals. Groups are 2 or more people.
- The Collaborative Study Space is for UT Austin students.
- Other campus room options for groups
- Library group study rooms are NOT available for class meetings, review sessions, or extended office hours.
- Faculty and non-student staff members can reserve rooms on campus for classes, exams and review sessions through the Office of the Registrar at 512-475-7600 or Email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- The Collaborative Study Space cannot be used for office hours or ongoing tutoring services.
- The Collaborative Study Space is not reservable except in the case of the Women in Physics student organization; who may reserve the room for up to 2 hours maximum two times per month and only during normal library operating hours. Reservations may not extend past 4:45pm on Friday or 9:45pm Sunday-Thursday; when the upstairs stacks close.
- Reservations must be made a minimum of 3 business days in advance. All reservations must be made by emailing email@example.com. Reservations are not considered accepted until a confirmation email has been sent/received.
- If the group is 15 minutes late, the reservation is forfeited.
- Please respect others in PMA Library by keeping the noise down, the door shut and cleaning up before you leave. Please refrain from moving furniture into or out of the Collaborative Study Space.
- Building Use policies apply in the Collaborative Study Space.
- Repeated violations of this policy may result in cancellation of future bookings.
- Booking availability is subject to change and cancellations may occur to meet building/facilities/library needs.
Note: Anyone engaging in disruptive behavior may be denied further access to the Libraries.