Welcome to the Nettie Lee Benson Latin American Collection.
We welcome researchers from the University of Texas, other institutions in Texas, the United States, Latin America and all other regions of the world. We maintain a particular focus on the educational, research and study needs of current University of Texas students, faculty and staff.
This Facilities Use Policy has been created to protect the rights and safety of Benson users and staff, and for preserving and protecting Benson materials, equipment, facilities and grounds.
The Benson and its staff are expected to provide:
- Space for users that is clean, well-lit and safe.
- Tools for users to find and use information quickly and efficiently.
- Service that is courteous, knowledgeable and respectful.
- New services and changes to existing services, in support of our mission.
- Access, within specific guidelines, to the Libraries’ collections, and to collections from other institutions.
Benson users are expected to:
- Refrain from disruptive behavior. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Assault or intimidation of staff or users through language or actions.
- Any behavior that creates excessive noise or commotion.
- Refusing to leave the library at closing time or during an evacuation.
- Entering areas of the library marked "Staff Only.”
- Engaging in sexual harassment and/or overt sexual behavior.
- Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs, and selling, using or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs.
- Entering the library barefoot or without a shirt, or otherwise being attired in a manner that is disruptive to the environment.
- Having offensive body odor or personal hygiene that unreasonably interferes with other patrons’ ability to use the library and its facilities.
- Using restrooms for bathing or shampooing, doing laundry, or changing clothes.
- Leaving packages, backpacks, luggage or any other personal items unattended.
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children.
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals, into the library.
- Using audible devices without headphones or with headphones set at a volume that disturbs others.
- Talking on cell phones in designated quiet areas.
- Filming or taking photographs in the library without prior authorization.
- Refrain from marking Libraries materials with pencil, ink, post it notes, tape, paper clips, bending corners of pages and lying books open facedown.
- Refrain from ripping or cutting pages out of Libraries materials; scan or photocopy materials instead.
- Refrain from taking Libraries materials out of the library without first checking them out.
- Refrain from theft of or damage to furniture or equipment, to include writing on the table tops or graffiti of any sort.
- Refrain from using extension, adaptor or power cords in a way that poses a safety hazard for others.
- Refrain from using wheeled transportation in the Benson, including but not limited to bicycles, scooters, hoverboards and skateboards. Mobility devices, including wheelchairs and walkers, are permitted.
- Refrain from touching any art and sculpture in exhibitions and other parts of the library.
- Refrain from using tobacco products (Nonsmoking Policy).
- Food is only allowed in official functions where food is provided. Otherwise, please do not bring food into the library.
- Consume drinks responsibly. Non-alcoholic drinks in spill-proof durable containers are allowed in the main reading room, stacks and study commons. No drinks or food are allowed in the rare books reading room.
- Please leave your study area clean for the next person.
- Refrain from sleeping at computer workstations or while using in-house use Libraries materials; sleeping under other circumstances is highly discouraged due to vulnerability. Sleeping individuals may be awakened by library staff in order to ensure their safety/well-being.
- Treat staff and other library users with courtesy and respect.
- Refrain from installing unauthorized software and/or changing setups on computer equipment (Libraries Computer, Software and Network Use Policy; Campus IT Policies).
- Refrain from posting signs, distributing literature, gathering signatures, soliciting contributions, tabling or conducting surveys inside the Benson without LLILAS Benson authorization.
- Without prior LLILAS Benson authorization, non-UT organizations and businesses are prohibited from using library spaces to conduct business or to recruit or solicit potential customers.
- Learn and follow all special rules for the Rare Books and Manuscripts Reading Room provided to you upon your first time using those materials for your research.
Note: Anyone engaging in disruptive behavior may be denied further access to the Libraries.