The Alexander Architectural Archives is committed to providing open and equitable access to its collections. To safeguard and preserve records, we carefully steward use. Requests for copies are subject to copyright law, standard fees and production time-tables, and are considered on a case-by-case basis. We can assist you in adhering to copyright law. Your request is subject to the following conditions. If at any time you have questions, please do not hesitate to ask.
- Costs for copy work include but are not limited to production, a preservation use fee and a billing fee. In cases of costly orders, we reserve the right to request advance payment.
- All copy work is conducted under the expertise of University of Texas Libraries staff members and is generally limited to digitization processes. If the original work might be endangered in this process, the request will be declined.
- In order to protect the integrity of the work, we assure that the reproduction results in a suitable presentation of the original. Consult staff members if you wish to superimpose text, crop, bleed, add color, or exercise other alterations.
- We request that you apply citation credits for all use.
- You may take personal photographs for reference purposes, however, no additional lighting or flash may be used. Please consult a staff member if you wish to publish or share your personal photographs.
- Requests for copies of large amounts of materials are discouraged, and may not be permitted under copyright law.
- Reproductions can take place only under the provisions of the fair-use doctrine in the U.S. copyright law (as amended) or by obtaining permission of the copyright holder, which in some instances may be the Alexander Architectural Archives at The University of Texas at Austin. It is your responsibility to secure this permission with a signed Authorization Form for Copyright Release. In cases where the author cannot be located and no heirs or executor can be traced through reasonable inquiry, you may choose to indemnify the university by filling out an Indemnification by Requestor form.
- Copies of drawings and other materials are provided for one-time personal or research use and are not to be reproduced, nor used for publication of any other public purpose, without the express written permission of the Alexander Architectural Archives. Please refer to our Use Guidelines and the Notification of Intent to Quote From or Publish form for more information.
- By requesting and obtaining copies, you assume and agree to full responsibility for conforming to the laws of libel and copyright in observance of the following notice:
NOTICE: WARNING CONCERNING COPYRIGHT RESTRICTIONS
The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photo-copies or other copy work of copyrighted materials. Under certain conditions specified in the law, libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction. One of these specified conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship or research". If a user makes a request for, or later uses, a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," that user may be liable for copyright infringement. This institution reserves the right to refuse to accept a copying order if, in its judgment, fulfillment of the order would involve violation of copyright law.
All forms are available upon request from the Alexander Architectural Archives via email at email@example.com