Materials may be returned to a library service desk, a library book drop, or by mail. The following information applies to returning UT Libraries materials and Interlibrary Loan items borrowed through UT Libraries. It does not apply to Tarlton Law Library materials. The University of Texas Libraries and the Tarlton Law Library are separate entities, and Tarlton Law Library materials cannot be returned at UT Libraries.
Return to a library location:
- UT Libraries books originally checked out for 14 or more days may be returned to any UT Libraries check out desk or book drop.
- Limited loan items, Course Materials, equipment and maps need to be returned to the desk from which they were checked out.
- AV materials should only be returned to library checkout desks or in drops at PCL or the Doty Fine Arts Building specifically labeled for AV materials.
- All UT Libraries except the Architecture and Planning Library and the Life Science Library have after-hours book drops. Access to some after-hours book drops is restricted to current UT students, faculty and staff. Materials returned in after-hours book drops get checked in the next day that library’s check out desk is open. In order to avoid fines, materials need to be returned to a library check out desk before closing on the due date.
- Return receipts are available upon request.
Return to a library book drop:
Eligible materials may be returned at one of the UT Libraries external book drops. External book drops are freestanding or built into an exterior wall of some locations. Signs indicating that a book drop is closed may be posted during holiday periods. Restrictions on what materials are not eligible are posted on the book drops, but generally include:
- Course Materials
- Non-book items e.g., audio/video tapes and disks, microfiche, CD-Roms, maps, DVDs, equipment (AV materials may be returned in drops specifically labeled for them)
- Limited loan materials including journals
- Fragile materials
- Tarlton Law Library materials
There are three external book drops on the UT main campus and one on the Pickle Research Campus.
|Building||Descriptive location of book drop|
|Perry-Castañeda Library (PCL) plaza||Next to the main library entrance facing the plaza at 21st Street and Speedway|
|Sid Richardson Hall (SRH)||In the exterior wall on the east side of the Benson Latin American Collection|
|E. William Doty Fine Arts Building (DFA)||Next to the west entrance to E. William Doty Fine Arts Building|