PCL Map Room Guide
- The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection (PCL 1.306) is a general collection of more than
250,000 maps covering all areas of the world.
Many of the maps are included in our
Library Catalog. 70,000 map images from our
collection are also available online.
- The Map Collection is on the first floor (PCL 1.306) of the
Perry-Castañeda Library, located
on the University of Texas-Austin campus. We are located on the southwest corner of 21st and Speedway.
Parking garages are available nearby.
- The Map Collection is staffed Monday through Friday. Access to the collection is available during all hours the
Perry-Castañeda Library is open. See the
Library Hours page for current details.
Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78713-8916
Phone: (512) 495-4275
Fax: (512) 495-4296
Paul Rascoe, Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection, University of Texas Libraries, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, TX 78713-8916
Phone: (512) 495-4262
Fax: (512) 495-4296
CHECKING OUT PRINTED MAPS
The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection is an open stack collection. University of Texas students, faculty and staff and the general public are welcome
to use our collection.
Maps may be checked out for two weeks to users with valid University of Texas ID or other
When the Map Collection is not staffed, maps may be
checked out from the Circulation and Reserves Desk in PCL.
We loan maps via Inter-Library Service. All requests to borrow maps must
be made at your local library. We do not sell or provide free printed maps.
We have numerous state, national, thematic and historical atlases.
The atlases in the Map Collection are for use in the library. Atlases that may be checked out are located in the PCL stacks. Additional atlases for reference use are available in PCL Reference and Reference Limited on floors 1,3,4,5 and 6.
Gazetteers provide the location, most often stated as latitude and longitude, for a locality. The most complete listing of international place names is in gazetteers issued by the U.S. Board of Geographical Names which are available in the PCL Map Collection.
For the U.S., the eleven volume "Omni Gazetteer of the United States of America" is available at E 154 O45 1991 in the Map Collection.
Ask a PCL Map Collection staff member for assistance if you are not able to find an appropriate gazetteer. The call number for country gazetteers can be found in the
Reference Guide: PCL Map Collection. Also see
- MAP COLLECTION
- The Perry-Castañeda Library Map Collection has major holdings of political, topographic and thematic maps of the world, continents, regions, countries, states and provinces.
Major map categories include:
- UNITED STATES GEOLOGICAL SURVEY (USGS) MAPS
- 1:24,000 Scale
- Maps are divided by state and are arranged by sheet name within each state. An index is available in the first drawer for each state.
The collection retains both the current edition and superceded editions.
- 1:62,500 Scale
- Interfiled with the 1:24,000 scale maps.
- 1:100,000 Scale
- Filed by sheet name. Includes topographic, planimetric and
Bureau of Land Management Surface/Mineral Management Status maps. Index is on top of cabinet.
- 1:250,000 Scale
- Filed by sheet name. Index on top of cabinet.
- Pre-1945 Topographic Maps
- Topographical maps from late 19th century to 1945. Scale varies, indexed in The Map Index to Topographic Quadrangles of the United States, 1882 - 1940 (GA 405 M64 1985 MAP)
- INTERNATIONAL MAPS
- Collections include a large selection of political, road, topographic and thematic maps for continents, oceans, world regions and countries.
The Reference Guide: PCL Map Collection includes call numbers for maps and gazetteers for each country or region.
- AERONAUTICAL CHARTS
- Eight chart series are available in the vertical file collection. They are the
Tactical Pilotage Charts,
Operational Navigation Charts,
Jet Navigation Charts, Global Navigation Charts, Airport Obstruction Charts, Sectional Aeronautical Charts, Terminal Area Charts
and the World Aeronautical Charts.
- NAUTICAL CHARTS
- Worldwide coverage at a variety of scales.
A printed index is available on top of the map case.
- OTHER U.S. MAPS
- A wide-range of base, shaded relief, historic and thematic state maps are available.
State maps published by United States Geological Survey (1:500,000 scale) are included in the World Map Collection. The base call number for each state can be found in
Reference Guide: PCL Map Collection available in the Map Collection.
- Census Maps
- Holdings in the map room include: 1980 Census Tract Maps for the entire U.S., 1980 Block Maps for Texas and
1990 Tract Maps for Texas. Maps for the 1990, 2000 and 2010 Census are available on the Internet.
Ask for assistance in locating other census maps.
- City Maps (Vertical File)
- Over nine thousand city street maps are available. City maps are filed alphabetically by city name.
- Highway Maps (Vertical File)
- Current road maps for each U.S. State and Canadian Province.
- Older Highway/City Maps (Vertical File)
- State and city maps dating back to 1930s.
- Outline and Base Maps
- A collection of outline and base maps for continents, world regions, countries and U.S. States.
- Park and Recreation Maps (Vertical File)
- Maps of national parks, monuments, forests and Texas State Parks.
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps
- Maps for Texas are now online for University of Texas at Austin and TexShare users.
The Center for American History owns printed copies of the Sanborn maps for many Texas cities.
The Center also owns microfilm for all of the maps of Texas and New Mexico.
Sanborn maps for Arkansas, Louisiana and Mississippi are available on microfilm in the PCL Periodicals and
Microforms Collection. Background Information
about the Sanborn maps (University of California at Berkeley).