Motif Index of Folk Literature
- Motif Index of Folk Literature
- Dates of coverage vary. (Stith Thompson)
- Available only in the University of Texas Libraries on library work stations.
Based on the 6-volume Motif index (1955-1957 rev.) by Stith Thompson, this tool classifies and indexes motifs (such as characters, actions, or events) in folk literature, including folk-tales, ballads, myths, fables, medieval romances, exempla, fabliaux, jest-books, and local legends. It is useful in art, literature, anthropology and other disciplines. The index is an elaborate classification of these motifs into broad categories and will refer to pieces of literature where these motifs occur.
- User Limits: 1
- Related Subjects
- Art and Art History
- Related Types
- Book and Text Collections
- Multi-disciplinary Sources