Pickle Research Campus
The J.J. Pickle Research Campus (formerly the Balcones Research Center) is located in northwest Austin at the corner of Braker Lane and Burnet Road. A campus map and building list is available for visitors to the PRC.
A shuttle service is available for UT students, staff, and faculty traveling to and from the main campus. On the main campus the shuttle stop is located on 26th Street in front of Ernest Cockrell Jr. Hall (near the pedestrian overpass). The shuttle stops at several locations at the PRC. Please check the shuttle bus website for the current bus schedule. The shuttle operates on a reduced schedule during intersession and the summer months.
Services for UT faculty members and researchers
The University of Texas Libraries provide faculty members and researchers at the J.J. Pickle Research Campus with access to the printed collections through Interlibrary Services (ILS).
For items available on campus OR not owned by UT: You can place a book or article request using the ILS request forms. These items will also be sent to you either electronically or via campus mail in a blue book bag to your address on the Pickle Research Campus.
Get A Scan: UT students, faculty and staff can now request a scan of an article or book chapter (50 pages or less) from the print collections of participating UT Libraries. Discover more about this service at: http://tinyurl.com/getascanpolicies
There is a one time registration process for patrons using ILS and it is IMPORTANT that PRC users specify within the User Information that their Location Status is Pickle Research. You must provide your campus address in your ILS account, including your campus mail code to receive this remote delivery service level.
Any UT material you wish to have delivered must be requested using the ILS webpages. If you use the Request button available in the UT catalog, there is no option for pickup at PRC. TIP: When placing a loan request on the ILS loan form please choose PCL as the pickup location. If you choose a different branch, ILS staff will contact you to verify you no longer wish to have remote delivery. As a registered PRC patron you will always receive delivery at your provided address via campus mail and the blue book bag. The ILS pickup notice has a line designated for PRC patrons.
You may return UT items as well as borrowed volumes (those with a pink band) to the book drop at the Library Storage Facility located on the PRC Campus. AV items owned by UT may be returned to the book drop at LSF as long as they are housed in the white media box in which they were sent. In order for ILS to continue to provide this service, please place the empty blue bag in your outgoing campus delivery for return to PCL. For a map displaying the Library Storage Facility drive up book drop go to:http://wwwhost.cc.utexas.edu/maps/prc/buildings/lsf.html
If you place a hold on a UT book and want ILS to send the item, please forward your pickup notice to firstname.lastname@example.org and staff will retrieve the item, check it out to you, and ship via campus mail to your PRC address. TIP: When placing a hold as a PRC user, choose PCL as your pickup location.
For questions please call the ILS office at 495-4134 or email email@example.com
- Engineering Library: 512-495-4511
- Geology Library: 512-495-4680
- Chemistry Library: 512-495-4600
- Life Science Library: 512-495-4630
- PMA Library: 512-495-4610
- PCL Circulation: 512-495-4300
- Interlibrary Service: 512-495-4134
Staff and Contact Information for the Commons Learning Center at Pickle Research Campus.
- Library Catalog - the online catalog for the University of Texas Libraries.
- Databases and Indexes to Articles - Engineering Index, GeoRef, INSPEC and more...
- Online Journals - Science Direct (Elsevier), IEEE, ASCE, ASME and many more...
- Industry Standards - ASTM, ANSI and more...
- Contact a Subject Specialist - librarians listed by subject area
Borrowing and Circulation
- Circulation policies and loan periods - a valid UT ID card is required to borrow materials from a campus library.
- Proxy Borrowing - faculty and professional staff may appoint proxies to borrow library materials. Proxy borrower card applications are available at campus libraries or a printable PDF version is available online.
- Interlibrary Services - request materials not available in the University of Texas Libraries.
- Renew your books and check your library materials’ due dates.
- Renew Help
- Recalls and Holds - FAQ - including instructions for recalling items that are currently checked out. If a book is recalled from you, you will be notified. Items can be returned using the outdoor book return at the Library Storage Facility, Bldg. 176, on the Pickle Research Campus or returned to a campus library location.
- Outdoor Book Returns