Mallet Chemistry Library Facility Use Policy
Welcome to the Mallet Library, the University of Texas Libraries chemistry library.
We welcome researchers who are not affiliated with the University of Texas, however, our focus remains on the educational, research and study needs of current University of Texas students, faculty and staff.
This Facility Use Policy has been created to protect the rights and safety of the Chemistry Library's users and staff, and for preserving and protecting the Chemistry Library's materials, equipment, and facilities.
The Chemistry Library and its staff are expected to provide:
- Space for users that is clean, well lit and safe.
- Tools for users to find and use information quickly and efficiently.
- Service that is courteous, knowledgeable and respectful.
- New services and changes to existing services, in support of our mission.
- Access, within specific guidelines, to the Libraries’ collections, and to collections from other institutions.
Chemistry Library users are expected to:
- Refrain from disruptive behavior. Disruptive behavior includes, but is not limited to the following:
- Assault or intimidation of staff or users through language or actions.
- Any behavior that creates excessive noise or commotion.
- Refusing to leave the library at closing time or during an evacuation.
- Entering areas of the library marked "Staff Only.”
- Engaging in sexual harassment and/or overt sexual behavior.
- Being under the influence of alcohol/illegal drugs, and selling, using or possessing alcohol/illegal drugs.
- Entering the library barefoot or without a shirt, or otherwise being attired in a manner that is disruptive to the environment.
- Having offensive body odor or personal hygiene that unreasonably interferes with other patrons’ ability to use the library and its facilities.
- Using restrooms for bathing or shampooing, doing laundry, or changing clothes.
- Leaving packages, backpacks, luggage or any other personal items unattended.
- Neglecting to provide proper supervision of children.
- Bringing pets or animals, other than service animals, into the library.
- Using audible devices without headphones or with headphones set at a volume that disturbs others.
- Talking on cell phones in areas other than the Group Study rooms.
- Filming or taking photographs in the library without prior authorization.
- Refrain from marking Libraries materials with pencil, ink, post it notes, tape, paper clips, bending corners of pages and lying books open facedown.
- Refrain from ripping or cutting pages out of Libraries materials; scan or photocopy materials instead.
- Refrain from taking Libraries materials out of the library without first checking them out.
- Refrain from theft of or damage to furniture or equipment, to include writing on the table tops or graffiti of any sort.
- Refrain from using extension, adaptor or power cords in a way that poses a safety hazard for others.
- Refrain from using wheeled transportation in the Chemistry Library, including but not limited to bicycles, scooters, hoverboards and skateboards. Bicycles are not permitted in Welch at any time. Mobility devices, including wheelchairs and walkers, are permitted.
- Refrain from using tobacco products (Nonsmoking Policy).
- Food is only allowed in official functions where food is provided. Otherwise, please do not bring food into the library.
- Consume food and drinks responsibly.
- Non-alcoholic drinks in durable containers (no-spill and capped containers are encouraged) and food are allowed in public areas and study rooms.
- Use care with greasy, sticky, or crumbly foods, and food that has a strong odor.
- Please leave your study area clean for the next person
- Report spills to the front desk
- Refrain from sleeping at computer workstations or while using in-house use Libraries materials; sleeping under other circumstances is highly discouraged due to vulnerability. Sleeping individuals may be awakened by library staff in order to ensure their safety/well-being.
- Treat staff and other library users with courtesy and respect.
- Refrain from installing unauthorized software and/or changing setups on computer equipment (Libraries Computer, Software and Network Use Policy; Campus IT Policies).
- Refrain from posting signs, distributing literature, gathering signatures, soliciting contributions, tabling or conducting surveys without Libraries authorization.
- Without prior Libraries authorization, non-UT organizations and businesses are prohibited from using library spaces to conduct business or to recruit or solicit potential customers.
Note: Anyone engaging in disruptive behavior may be denied further access to the Libraries.