Computer and Network Use Policy
The University of Texas Libraries makes computers and network resources available to students, faculty, staff and visitors to provide access to library collections and other information resources to support learning and research. The intent of this policy is to ensure that facilities and resources are used most effectively to benefit the greatest number of academic users. Users may not be paid for or otherwise profit from the use of any University-provided computing or network resource or from output produced from such use.
Usage must be in accordance with the University of Texas at Austin Acceptable Use Policy https://www.utexas.edu/cio/policies/, other policies of the University of Texas and the University of Texas System, and state and federal law. Users who are in violation of these policies may be subject to penalties for infractions, including but not limited to verbal warnings and the loss of the use of library computers and network resources.
- Academics First:
- In addition to restrictions noted in the University of Texas at Austin Acceptable Use Policy https://www.utexas.edu/cio/policies/, non-academic activities including, but not limited to, game playing and Internet telephony are prohibited on library computers and networks.
- User Authentication
- User authentication is required to access all University of Texas Libraries computers and network resources. Current University of Texas a Austin students, faculty, staff, official visitors, and courtesy and special borrowers may use their individually-assigned UT EIDs to access computers and network resources. Other users may claim a UT EID https://idmanager.its.utexas.edu/eid_self_help/ and may request temporary authenticated access at a Libraries service desk. Users must present a valid, government-issued photo ID to request temporary access.
- Priority Users:
- University of Texas at Austin students, faculty and staff are priority users of library computers and networks.
- Computers and networks may be restricted to priority users.
- Other users may be asked to relinquish computers and/or discontinue network access at the discretion of library staff.
- Time Limits:
- Users must observe posted time limits.
- Users with special needs may contact library staff.
- User-Owned Equipment:
- Authorized users, including University of Texas at Austin students, faculty and staff, may connect personal equipment only through the Public Network Authentication (PNA) system or to devices, such as USB ports, designated for such use. Users may not unplug library equipment or cables for any reason. Use of personal equipment such as extension, adaptor or power cords must not pose a safety hazard for others.
Approved by Administrative Council, April 5, 2006. Revision approved by Administrative Council, September 20, 2006.