Fred Heath is Vice Provost and Director of the University of Texas Libraries, a position he has held since 2003. He has served in similar capacities at Texas A&M University, Texas Christian University and the University of North Alabama during his career of 30+ years in academic librarianship.
Fred currently serves on the Boards of the Center for Research Libraries (CRL) and the Coalition for Networked Information (CNI). He is a member of the Steering Committee of the Digital Library Federation (DLF). He has recently served as President of the Board of Directors of the Association of Research Libraries (ARL), and chair of the Texas Council of State University Librarians (TCSUL).
He is on the Editorial Boards of Library Quarterly and the Journal of Library Administration. Fred has served as editor of Library Administration and Management(LA&M), and chair of the editorial advisory board to College and Research Library News.
He makes frequent presentations and publishes in the areas of digital library trends, evolving user needs, and service quality issues. He is a co-developer of the widely employed service quality assessment tool,LibQUAL+™.
M.S.L.S., Florida State University
M.A., University of Virginia (Russian History)
B.A., Tulane University (History)
1987-1993 Director of Libraries, Texas Christian University (TCU)
1980-1987 Dean of Library Services, University of North Alabama (UNA)
1984-1985 Interim Director, Network of Alabama Academic Libraries (NAAL)
1974-1980 Assistant Director for Public Services, Radford University Library, Virginia
1973-1974 Associate Reference Librarian (Documents) University of Richmond Library, Virginia
- Cook, C., Heath, F. and Thompson, G. (under contract) Improving Service Quality in Libraries: LibQUAL+. Association of Research Libraries (scheduled for 2004 release).
- Cook, C., Heath, F. & Thompson, B. (in press). "Zones of tolerance" in perceptions of library service quality: A LibQUAL+TM study. portal: Libraries and the Academy.]
- Thompson, B., Cook, C., & Heath, F. (in press). Structure of perceptions of service quality in libraries: A LibQUAL+TM study. Structural Equation Modeling.
- Thompson, B., & Cook, C. (2002). Stability of the reliability of LibQUAL+™ scores: A "Reliability Generalization" meta-analysis study. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 62, 735-743.
- Snyder, C. A. Measuring library service quality with a focus on the LibQUAL+™ Project: an interview with Fred Heath. Library Administration & Management 16 (2002): 4-7.
- Colleen Cook and Fred Heath. SERVQUAL: Service Quality Assessment in Libraries. Encyclopedia of Library and Information Science. Ed., Miriam Drake. (out 2003).
- The Impact of Information Technology on the Future of Teaching and Learning: Lessons from LibQUAL+ and other Assessment Studies. (A presentation to the Texas A&M University Library staff, December 2002). With Colleen Cook. (Basis for a presentation to Council of Library and Information Resources (CLIR), March 28, 2003).
- LibQUAL+™: An Overview and An Explication. (A presentation at the Scandinavian Quality Conference, October 25, 2002), Stockholm, Sweden.
- LibQUAL+™: Preliminary Results for the 2002 Survey. (A presentation at Northumbria Lite, a Pre-Conference at the annual IFLA Meeting, August 22, 2002). With Colleen Cook, Bruce Thompson, and Duane Webster. Glasgow, United Kingdom.
- Service Quality Assessment in a Digital Library Environment. (4th International JISC/CNI Conference, June 27, 2002). With Joseph Boykin and Duane Webster. Edinburgh, United Kingdom.
- Association of Research Libraries, President, ARL Board (2002-2004).
- Big 12 Plus Library Consortium, President (1998-1999).
- Texas Council of State University Librarians, President (1998-2000).
- American Library Association, ACRL, "College and Research Libraries News" Editorial Board (1984-86); ACRL Budget and Finance Committee (1983-86); ACRL Publications Committee (1984-86). ACRL Statistics Committee (1987-89). Associate Editor, Editor ALA LAMA journal, LA&M (1989-93).LAMA/BES Committee on Buildings for College and University Libraries (1981-86); LAMA/FRFDS Trends and Marketing Committee (1992-1994); LAMA Nominating Committee (1996-97).
- Association of Research Libraries. Board, 1999- . SPARC Advisory Board, 1999- . Chair, Information Policies Committee, 1998-1999. Member, Information Policies Committee 1993-1999, Scholarly Communications Committee, 1999-.
- Big Twelve Plus Library Consortium. President, 1998-1999. Executive Committee 1997- . Various other committees.
- SPARC, Founding Advisory Board, 1999-2001.
- Member: American Library Association, (ACRL, LAMA); American Society of Information Scientists (ASIS); Texas Library Association, Southeastern Library Association, Beta Phi Mu, Phi Alpha Theta, Phi Delta Kappa, Omicron Delta Kappa; Phi Kappa Phi.
- 2001 Linda Hall Library. Kansas City, Kansas. Strategic Visioning Exercise. Team Member.
- University of South Carolina. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Re-accreditation.
- 2000 Southern University. Southern Association of Colleges and Schools. Re-accreditation.
- UCLA Senior Fellow. Selected as one of the fifteen 1987 Senior Fellows in UCLA/Council of Library Resources Program. Spent summer residency at UCLA Library School in Career Development Program. Return colloquia, summer 1988.
- Tall Texans. Summer 1994. Served as mentor for leadership training colloquium for 24 Texas librarians. Sponsored by Texas Library Association.