TABLE OF CONTENTS
Inventory of the San Antonio Water Works Company Records, 1878-1881
The original contract of the San Antonio Water Works Company was given to Jean Baptiste La Coste and associates on April 3, 1877. The company was to supply the City of San Antonio with water using the San Antonio River as a source. The storage reservoir was completed within two years of the signing of the contract. At the end of the contract the City of San Antonio reserved the right to buy the Water Works. W.R. Freeman, first engineer of the works, utilized the water power of the San Antonio River to pump the water of the Head to a higher level to obtain sufficient water pressure. LaCoste constructed a pumphouse near the headwaters of the San Antonio River in what is now Brackenridge Park. George W. Brackenridge financially supported the Water Works Company, gained controlling interest and took over in 1883. The City made several efforts to purchase the company, but disagreements within prevented any deals from being made. In 1905 Brackenridge sold the Water Works Company to George Kobusch, the first in numerous owners over the next 20 years. In 1925 the City of San Antonio was able to purchase the company. On June 1, 1925, the utility became known as the City Water Board and its management was placed under a Board of Trustees appointed by the City Council..
Source: Corner, William. San Antonio de Bexar : a guide and history. San Antonio, Texas : Bainbridge &amp; Corner, 1890 and
The bulk of the collection is financial records. Also included is a deed dated March 12, 1878.
This collection is housed at UTSA's Main Campus and must be accessed via the John Peace Library Special Collections reading room. To request access, please use the Collections Request Form.
The researcher assumes full responsibility for observing all copyright, property, and libel laws as they apply.
[Identification of item], San Antonio Water Works Company Records, MS 98, University of Texas at San Antonio Libraries Special Collections.
Purchased from Charles Apfelbaum in 1989 (Acc. 2000-016).
More detailed processing is not anticipated at this time.