A Guide to the San Antonio Rifle Association Ledgers, 1891-1917
Founded in 1857 as a rifle club, the San Antonio Schuetzen Verein (directly translated as 'San Antonio Shooting Club'), held target shooting matches in the rural areas around the San Antonio area. These matches were either all day affairs or weekend affairs that pitted individual shooters, as well as communities and clubs, against each other. Winners received trophies, prizes, and great local and regional recognition from their victories. The results were printed in the local papers, and individuals were watched with great interest by shooting enthusiasts.
The first clubhouse was located on Austin Street, just east of downtown. One of the first locations where the club held matches was on River Avenue, better known today as Broadway, near present day Mahncke Park. The club's early membership included Ferdinan Toepperwein, father of world famous shooting legend Ad Toepperwein.
Later in the nineteenth century, with the advent of clay targets, trap shooting matches were started. Theses early trap shoots were held at the San Antonio Exhibition and Fair Grounds, which were located near the present day Joe and Harry Freeman Coliseum. Photographs of some of these early shoots are displayed in the clubhouse of the present day San Antonio Gun Club. One photograph is dated July 4th, 1895.
The San Antonio Schuetzen Verein was officially disbanded in 1919.
Source: Mark B. Hickey, San Antonio Gun Club Life Member, 21 September 2006.
The collection comprises 9 ledgers, dating 1891 to 1917, detailing the results of the shooting matches held in towns in the San Antonio area, including New Braunfels, Boerne, San Antonio, Helotes, Germania, Green Valley, Bulverde, Vogel's Valley, and Cut Off [Park]. Ledger 1 contains information regarding dues paid by the different communities' gun clubs and the scores of the individuals that participated in the competitions. The majority of the writing in the ledgers is in German, but there is also some in English.
This collection is housed at UTSA's Main Campus and must be accessed via the John Peace Library Special Collections reading room. To request access, please use the Collections Request Form.
Please contact University of Texas at San Antonio Libraries Special Collections for more information on permission to publish materials from this collection.
[Identification of item], San Antonio Rifle Association Ledgers, MS 152, University of Texas at San Antonio Libraries Special Collections.
All materials were included in a collection of items transferred from the Institute of Texan Cultures (ITC) Library in 2006 (Acc. 2006-065). The origin immediately prior to the ITC Library is unknown.
Processed by Mathew C. Martin, Collections Assistant, November 2006.
Detailed Description of the Collection