Texas Archival Resources Online

TABLE OF CONTENTS


Descriptive Summary

Historical Note

Scope and Content Note

Organization of Collection

Restrictions

Index Terms

Administrative Information

Description of Series

Terrell Hills Community

Public Utilities

Correspondence

University of Texas San Antonio

A Guide to the City of Terrell Hills, Texas Records, 1838-1956 (bulk 1919-1941)



Descriptive Summary

Creator: Terrell Hills (Texas)
Title: City of Terrell Hills, Texas Records
Inclusive Dates: 1838-1956
Bulk Dates: 1919-1941
Creator Abstract: The City of Terrell Hills is a residential community between Alamo Heights and Fort Sam Houston. In 1919, Dr. Fredrick Terrell sold the property to a group of San Antonio businessmen, who formed the Terrell Hills Community. This group established basic services in the area such as electricity. Terrell hills was incorporated as a town and elected a mayor in 1939. The City was established in 1957.
Content Abstract: The collection spans the years 1838 through 1956 and includes correspondence and other information about various projects and activities. Most of the material concerns the founding and early management, in the 1920s and 1930s, of the Community that would later become the City of Terrell Hills.
Identification: MS 49
Extent: 0.8 linear feet (about 600 items)
Language: Materials are in English.
Repository University of Texas at San Antonio Libraries Special Collections

Historical Note

The City of Terrell Hills is a residential community located between Alamo Heights and Fort Sam Houston along Austin Highway inside Loop 410. It is named for Dr. Frederick Terrell, the President of City National Bank who served as San Antonio's Mayor in 1901. In 1919, Dr. Terrell sold approximately 22.5 acres of property to William Church, the trustee for a group that would become the Terrell Hills Community. The group included some of San Antonio's most prominent businessmen including Alfred G. Ranney, William K. Ewing and Albert Steves Jr. The Terrell Hills Community held meetings in order to discuss and manage community issues such as traffic and construction. This group arranged for services such as electric and water service and sewer lines to be established.

In 1939, Terrell Hills was incorporated as a town and W.L. Mathews was elected Mayor. In 1945, San Antonio attempted to annex the town without allowing an election in either Terrell Hills or San Antonio. Terrell Hills took San Antonio to district court and the annexation was ruled illegal. Terrell Hills became a City with a home rule charter in 1957, and retained a mayor and council system of government.

According to the 1990 census the population of Terrell Hills was 4,592; the 1995 population estimate was 4, 644.

Return to the Table of Contents


Scope and Content Note

The Records of the City of Terrell Hills contain correspondence, deeds, abstracts of titles and information about various city projects and activities. Most of the material concerns the founding and early management of the community that would later be the City of Terrell Hills. The collection is a valuable resource for examining the problems and issues facing a small community in Bexar County in the 1920s and 1930s including the establishment of basic services and construction. The collection is divided into three series.

The Terrell Hills Community series is the heart of the collection. It contains information from the group of property owners that conducted the business of the residence addition prior to its incorporation as a town in 1939. An Abstract of Title for the land of Terrell Hills shows the ownership of the property from 1838 to 1922. Some information from after incorporation is also included. This includes the 1946 District Court ruling concerning the annexation of Terrell Hills. Public Utilities contains contracts, bills and correspondence between officials of Town of Terrell Hills, property owners and various providers of different public utilities. In the early 1940s, Terrell Hills did not have taxes. Money was raised through a voluntary property assessment. Information on some of these assessments is included. The Correspondence series largely contains correspondence between members of the Terrell Hills Community discussing community issues such as the way financial costs were to be distributed and community membership. There is some correspondence from the 1940s that is from residents to town officials.

Return to the Table of Contents


 

Organization of Collection

Series 1. Terrell Hills Community
Series 2. Public Utilities
Series 3. Correspondence

Return to the Table of Contents


Restrictions

Access Restrictions

This collection is housed at UTSA's Main Campus and must be accessed via the John Peace Library Special Collections reading room. To request access, please use the Collections Request Form.

Usage Restrictions

Permission to publish materials from the City of Terrell Hills, Texas Records must be obtained from University of Texas at San Antonio Libraries Special Collections.

Return to the Table of Contents


Index Terms

Organizations
Terrell Hills (Texas)
Subjects
Municipal services--Texas--Terrell Hills.
Public utilities--Texas--Terrell Hills.
Locations
Terrell Hills (Tex.)--History.
Genres/Formats
Correspondence.
Minutes.
Local Subjects
Neighborhood Associations
San Antonio History
Urban Development and Growth

Return to the Table of Contents


Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], City of Terrell Hills, Texas, Records, 1838-1956, MS 49, University of Texas at San Antonio Libraries Special Collections.

Acquisition Information

Received as a gift to University of Texas at San Antonio Libraries Special Collections in 1980 (Acc. 1980-002).

Processing Information

Processed by Eric Hartmann, July 1998.

Return to the Table of Contents


Detailed Description of the Collection

 

Terrell Hills Community

This series contains information from the group of property owners that conducted the business of the residence addition prior to its incorporation as a town in 1939. An Abstract of Title for the land of Terrell Hills shows the ownership of the property from 1838 to 1922. Some information from after incorporation is also included. This includes the 1946 District Court ruling concerning the annexation of Terrell Hills.
Box Folder
1 Legal Documents and Ordinances
1 Abstract of Title, 1838-1922
2 Deeds, liens, gas and water lines, 1938
3 Partnership, 1920-1935
4 Petition, 1926
5 Zoning Ordinances, 1936
6 Financial Information, 1925-1939
7 Maps, 1908, November 1919
8 Meeting Minutes, 1919-1923
9 News and Clippings, 1946-1956
10 Real Estate Sale, 1919-1920
11 Sewer Company, 1920-1946

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Public Utilities

This series contains contracts, bills and correspondence between officials of Town of Terrell Hills, property owners and various providers of different public utilities. In the early 1940s, Terrell Hills did not have taxes. Money was raised through a voluntary property assessment. Information on some of these assessments is included.
Box Folder
1 12 Utilities information, 1939-1940
13 Utilities information, 1941-1942
14 Utilities information, January-June 1943
15 Utilities information, July-December 1943
Box Folder
2 1 Utilities information, January-March 1944
2 Utilities information, April-June 1944
3 Utilities information, July-September 1944
4 Utilities information, October-December 1944

Return to the Table of Contents




 

Correspondence

This series largely contains correspondence between members of the Terrell Hills Community discussing community issues such as the way financial costs were to be distributed and community membership. There is some correspondence from the 1940s that is from residents to town officials.
Box Folder
2 5 General correspondence, 1920-1921
6 General correspondence, 1922
7 General correspondence, 1923
8 General correspondence, 1924
9 General correspondence, 1925
10 General correspondence, 1926
11 General correspondence, 1927
12 General correspondence, 1939
13 General correspondence, 1941
14 General correspondence, 1944
15 Alley Way, 1931-1933
16 General correspondence, undated

Return to the Table of Contents