John Sealy Hospital Dedication Recordings, 1953
On December 15, 1953, a new one-thousand- bed John Sealy Hospital, which included the R. Waverly Smith Memorial Pavilion, was dedicated at a cost of approximately $11,000,000. It replaced the old hospital that was completed in 1890. The new hospital was designed by C.H. Page and Son, Architects of Austin, Texas and Eggers and Higgins, Consultants of New York.
These 10 acetate recordings were done by KGBC in Galveston and made by an instantaneous process and designed to be played inside out at a speed of 78 rpm.
The collection is open for research use. Materials may be viewed in the Truman G. Blocker, Jr. History of Medicine Collections of the Moody Medical Library.
[Identification of Item], in the John Sealy Hospital Dedication Recordings, 1953, MS 145, Truman G. Blocker, Jr. History of Medicine Collections, Moody Medical Library, University of Texas Medical Branch at Galveston, Texas.
These records were organized and processed by staff of the Truman G. Blocker, Jr. History of Medicine Collections. Finding aid prepared by Robert Marlin and Kelly Caldwell; encoded by Richard L. Watts in EAD 2002 W3C in January of 2017.