Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons
During the 1953 American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery meeting in Coronado Beach, California, fourteen Texas plastic surgeons decided to organize a state society. The original members of the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons (TSPS) were Truman G. Blocker, Jr., Raymond O. Brauer, Thomas D. Cronin, John T. Gannon, Sanford Glanz, S. Baron Hardy, Stephen R. Lewis, Bromley S. Freeman, Dean C. Kipp, John B. Patterson, Willard W. Schuessler, Willard C. Sellman, Jr., and Robert J. Wise, with James T. Mills being elected as the first president.
The first formal meeting of the Society was held in 1955. In 1956, and in each year since, the annual meeting has been held in conjunction with the annual session of the Texas Medical Association. The TSPS aims to benefit society by advancing the art and science of plastic and reconstructive surgery through the promotion of the highest standards in all aspects of the profession, as well as to provide the public with information about plastic and reconstructive surgery.
The Archives of the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons contains various documents such as announcements, newsletters, constitution and by-laws, correspondence, meeting minutes and programs, membership rosters, and a short history of the TSPS. The archival collection was given to the Moody Medical Library by Jeff R. Moore, M.D., the TSPS Historian, on September 15, 1986. Charles N. Verheyden, M.D., Ph.D., of the Scott and White Clinic, now serves as the Historian of the Texas Society of Plastic Surgeons.