Guide to the Records of the Kappa Beta Pi Legal Sorority at the Tarlton Law Library
Kappa Beta Pi, the first legal sorority in the U.S., was founded in 1908 at the Chicago-Kent College of Law to promote high professional standards among women law students and lawyers. The Eta Chapter at the University of Texas School of Law was founded on Dec. 30, 1916, with Mrs. Anna Irene Sandbo as its first Dean. The chapter was active until the early 1970s.
Chapter records, minutes, correspondence, membership lists, clippings, programs, periodicals, and memorabilia relate to the history, traditions, and activities of the Eta Chapter, Kappa Beta Pi, and also reflect the role of women in the University of Texas School of Law and in the legal profession. The correspondence deals mainly with planning and arrangements for sorority conventions and recruitment of new members. Also present are a history of Kappa Beta Pi (1937), the sorority's constitution (1939), and a scrapbook with news clippings and photographs of members and chapter activities.
The collection and any reproductions of the collection are made available for the purposes of private study, scholarship, and research only.
Tarlton Law Library does not hold the copyright to the materials, unless it has been transferred to the library by the creator. It is the researcher's responsibility to determine the copyright status and to obtain permission from the copyright holder before publishing any materials from the collection.
Some collections may contain sensitive or confidential information protected under federal and state privacy laws. The researchers are encouraged to report any such information to staff.
The University of Texas at Austin is not responsible for violations of intellectual property rights and any other laws or for liability to any person for defamation or invasion of privacy that result from unauthorized use of the collection by the researcher.
Kappa Beta Pi Legal Sorority Records, Tarlton Law Library, University of Texas at Austin.
Accessioned January, 1999.
Detailed Description of the Collection