UT Health Science Center San Antonio

Guide to the San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society Records



Descriptive Summary and Abstract

Creator San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society
Title: San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society Records
Inclusive dates: October 27, 1921 - May 18, 1937
Abstract: The San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society was established on Oct 27, 1921. Records include a scrapbook comprising the first minute book of the society from its foundational meeting until May 18, 1937.
Identification: AR 77
Extent: 1 box containing one scrapbook
Language: Materials are in written in English.
Repository University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio, UTHSC Libraries, University Archives, San Antonio, TX 78229-3900

Administrative History Note

The San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society was formed at a meeting held at the Menger Hotel in San Antonio, Texas on October 27, 1921, by a committee appointed by the President of the Bexar County Medical Society. The purpose of the meeting was to form an association of members of the Bexar County Medical Society limiting their practice to disease and surgery of the eye, ear, nose, and throat.

The following officers were elected for the remaining portion of 1921 and 1922: President, Dr. E. M. Sykes; Vice President, Dr. J. H. Burleson; and Secretary and Treasurer, Dr. J S. Steele.

The officers of the society were to act as a program committee to arrange a program for each monthly meeting and decide the meeting time and location and access each member the required dues to meet incidental expenses.

A formal constitution and bylaws was adopted at the January 4, 1927 meeting.

Sources:

October 17, 1921, and January 4, 1927, meeting minutes of the San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society.


Scope and Contents

Records consist of one notebook containing meeting minutes from the foundational meeting of October 27, 1921 to May 18, 1937. Included in the minutes are the constitution and bylaws of the association, resolutions regarding deceased members, and a roster of members in 1923.


 

Arrangement of Collection

The collection is organized in 1 box in 1 series as follows:
Series 1: Minutes

Restrictions

Access Restrictions

The collection is open for research use. Materials may be viewed in the reading room of the P. I. Nixon Medical Historical Library, located on the 5th floor of the Briscoe Library at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.

Use Restrictions

Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.


Index Terms

Persons
Sykes, Edwin Meredith
Burleson, John H.
Steele, James S.
Organizations
San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society
Subjects
Ophthalmology - Societies
Otolaryngology - Societies
Physicians – Texas
History of Medicine – Texas
Document Types
Minutes

Administrative Information

Preferred Citation

[Identification of item], in the San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society, AR 77 University Archives, UTHSC Libraries, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.

Provenance

Unknown. Records may have been donated to the archives of the University of Texas Medical School in San Antonio in 1970 by the Bexar County Medical Society.

Collection History

Receipt of the records of the San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society is not recorded. It is assumed they were received as part of a donation of manuscripts and historical books from the Bexar County Medical Society Library in 1970.

Processing Information

Finding aid created by: Anne Comeaux, April 2015


Detailed Description of Collection

 

Series 1. Minutes

Box Item
77*1 1 First Minute Book of the San Antonio Ophthalmo-Oto-Laryngological Society. Oct. 27, 1921 – May 18, 1937.