Guide to the Bexar County Academy of General Practice Records
The American Academy of General Practice was organized in June 1947 with the goals and purposes 1) to promote high standards of medical care, 2) to preserve the rights of the General Practitioner to practice in all hospitals to the full extent of his or her training and abilities, 3) to insist on its members keeping up to date with a strong and meaningful continuing postgraduate medical education program, 4) to provide for quality educational opportunities for the members, and 5) to encourage and assist young doctors to establish themselves in General Practice. The Bexar County Academy of General Practice was organized on Nov. 18, 1947, as a chapter of the AAGP with 46 members. The organizational meeting was held at the Bexar County Medical Library, and L. B. Jackson was elected as the first president. Other officers included J. B. Copeland as Vice-President, Charles L. McGeehee as Secretary, and S. Perry Post as Treasurer. Monthly meetings were scheduled at this time. The Texas Chapter of AAGP was not formed until May, 1948. By 1952 membership in the Bexar County Chapter had grown to over 100 members.
In late 1961 the name was changed to the Alamo Chapter Texas Academy of General Practice. In 1970 the American Academy of General Practice became the American Academy of Family Physicians, and the Alamo Chapter changed its name to Alamo Chapter Texas Academy of Family Physicians. In 1987 there were 188 active members in San Antonio plus 68 more in eleven surrounding counties. The three names seemed to have been used interchangeably on stationary and correspondence, however, in the records in this collection.
Today the Alamo Chapter covers Atascosa, Bandera , Bexar, Comal, Frio, Guadalupe, Karnes, Kendall, Kerr, La Salle, Medina, and Wilson counties.
Post, S. Perry. "Family Practice of Medicine in San Antonio: Backward Glances of Forty Years." Address presented on Nov. 24, 1987 at the 40th anniversary of the founding of the Alamo Chapter of the Texas Academy of Family Physicians in San Antonio, Texas. Published as part of the meeting program.
The records of the Bexar County Academy of General Practice span the years 1948 – 1987 and include newsletters, minutes of meetings, correspondence regarding special events, rosters of members, and correspondence regarding changes in membership. Meeting minutes and newsletters in the collection start with 1959. A circulation record in the collection indicates that 3 notebooks containing the minutes for 1947-54, 1955-56, and 1957-58 were removed by Perry Post, M.D. on Jan. 24, 1996. These records are not in the current collection. Minutes and newsletter records were removed from acidic notebooks and plastic covers by archival staff in 2014 and placed in acid free folders.
The collection is open for research use. Materials may be viewed in the reading room of the P. I. Nixon Medical Historical Library, located on the 5th floor of the Briscoe Library at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Some materials are very brittle or torn on the edges and may require an electronic copy or photocopy for use.
[Identification of item], in the Bexar County Academy of General Practice Records, AR 121, University Archives, UTHSC Libraries, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
Records were donated to the University Archives in February 1988, by Dr. Perry Post.
Records originally belonged to the Bexar County Academy of General Practice.
Finding aid created by: Anne Comeaux, April 2014.
Detailed Description of Collection