Guide to the Edward P. Vollum Papers
Edward P. Vollum served as a surgeon in the U.S. Army from 1834 until at least 1888, although the exact date of his retirement is not known. He served at Ft. Belknap in Texas from 1854 – 1856. He was also posted to Ft. Umpqua Ot in Oregon; Ft. Crook, CA; Washington, D. C. ; Madison Barracks in N.Y. Harbor; Camp Douglas, Utah Territory; St. Louis Barracks, Missouri; and Ft. Hamilton, NY. In 1886 he was serving as medical director of the Department of Texas, presumably for the U. S. Army.
Vollum was born Sept. 11, 1827 in New York, NY. In the U.S. Census for 1870, he was married to Amelie Vollum who was 10 years younger than he, and had 2 children – Kate L. Vollum, age 9, born in California and Paul E. Vollum, age 6, born in Washington, D.C. It is not known whether he had any other children, but they are also the only two that appear in the U.S. Census for 1880.
U.S. Census 1870, Hounsfield, Jefferson County, New York, pg. 63.
Letters by or about Edward P. Vollum received by the U. S. Army Adjutant General various years, available through Ancestory.Com.
Passport application in 1900 by E. P. Vollum. Ancestory.Com.
The Vollum Papers consist of two letters to Dr. C. R. Agnew, New York, NY, written in 1886 by E. P. Vollum, M.D. describing San Antonio, problems in the U.S. Army Medical Corp, and qualifications/problems with various candidates for Surgeon General.
The collection is open for research use. Materials may be viewed in the reading room of the P. I. Nixon Medical Historical Library, located on the 5th floor of the Briscoe Library at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Some materials are very brittle or torn on the edges and may require an electronic copy or photocopy for use.
[Identification of item], in the Edward P. Vollum Papers, MS 200, University Archives, UTHSC Libraries, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
These papers were donated to the library of the University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio by the Bexar County Medical Society.
Purchased from David Gilman, Crompond, New York on Jan. 9, 1973. Donated by Bexar County Medical Society Library to the University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio.
Finding aid created by: Anne Comeaux, August 2013.
Detailed Description of Collection