Guide to the West Texas Medical Association Records
Medical meetings in Texas ceased during the Civil War, and meetings in San Antonio did not resume until 1876. The Western Texas Medical Association was chartered on December 29, 1876, for a period of 25 years in lieu of the former Bexar Medical Society. George Cupples, Ferdinand Herff, and others were the primary creators of the association, which met in San Antonio, Bexar County, Texas with the purpose of “cultivating the science of Medicine, of elevating the status of the members of the Medical Profession, and of promoting professional and social intercourse among them.” Its charter expired in 1902 and was renewed with the creation of the West Texas Medical Association, chartered on February 24, 1902, with the same purpose for another 50 years. Trustees included Drs. B. F. Kingsley, F. Herff, C. E. R. King, Wm. Luter and W. B. Russ. This new association was short-lived, however, as the plan of organization by counties sponsored by the American Medical Association was accepted by the State Association on April 27, 1903. At a meeting of the physicians of Bexar County on July 9, 1903, the Bexar County Medical Society was organized.
Nixon, Pat Ireland. A century of medicine in San Antonio : the story of medicine in Bexar County, Texas. San Antonio, Tex: Privately published by the author, 1936.
The West Texas Medical Association Records contain the photographic copies of the incorporation papers for the West Texas Medical Association and the Stenographer’s Report of the Proceedings of the 25th Annual Meeting of the West Texas Medical Association, dated October 23, 1902.
The collection is open for research use. Materials may be viewed in the reading room of the P. I. Nixon Medical Historical Library, located on the 5th floor of the Briscoe Library at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Some materials are very brittle or torn on the edges and may require an electronic copy or photocopy for use.
[Identification of item], in the West Texas Medical Association Records, AR 74, University Archives, UTHSC Libraries, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
Materials in this collection were donated in 1970 to the library of the University of Texas Medical School at San Antonio by the Bexar County Medical Society.
Received as part of a donation of manuscripts and historical books from the Bexar County Medical Society Library in 1970.
Finding aid created by: Anne Comeaux, October 2011.
Detailed Description of Collection