Guide to the Windrow Drug Store Records, 1902 - 1934
William Henry Windrow, a pharmacist, and his brother-in-law, H. A. Sanders, a businessman, purchased the drug store located on the corner of College Square and Bandera Ave. in Hondo, Texas from Ernest H. Ross in 1898 for approximately $1500.00. The Sanders & Windrow drug store opened in 1898 under the management of Windrow, who conducted the business and filled the prescriptions until his death on Feb. 17, 1937. It was the only drug store in Hondo and sold toys, books, and other commodities as well as prescriptions. In 1900 the drug store moved to its new location in Hondo, Texas at North Front Street. William H. Windrow bought out H. A. Sanders’ interest in the store in 1901, and expanded the store and changed the name to Windrow Drug Store in 1903. Two sons, William L. Windrow and Henry Z. Windrow, took over the management of the store on their father's death and became the sole owners in 1939.
Fletcher Davis. "Windrow Drug Store Marks First Golden Jubilee in Hondo."The Anvil Herald , June 25, 1946.
"A Series on Hondo's Business Houses. 1. Windrow Drug Store. Old Estblishment nears Golden Anniversary."The Anvil Herald , date unknown.
The Windrow Drug Store records span the years 1902 to 1934 and include sales ledgers, a register listing sales of opium and coca, and a tablet with information on various types of pharmaceuticals. Also included with the records is one letter date August 25, 1998 regarding donation of the records to the University Archives that includes newspaper clippings from 1946 and later on the history of the drug store and deaths of several family members.
The collection is open for research use. Materials may be viewed in the reading room of the P. I. Nixon Medical Historical Library, located on the 5th floor of the Briscoe Library at the University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio. Access to some patient records may be restricted.
Copyright is retained by the authors of items in these papers, or their descendants, as stipulated by United States copyright law.
Some of the materials have fire damage along the edges, water damage, and binding separating from materials.
[Identification of item], in the Windrow Drug Store Records, AR 204, University Archives, UTHSC Libraries, The University of Texas Health Science Center at San Antonio.
Records were donated to the University Archives by Jim Menken in June 1998.
Received as a gift from Jim Menken in June 1998.
Finding aid created by: Mellisa DeThorne, July 2009.
Detailed Description of Collection