TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Alexander Deussen Papers, 1910-1913, 1957-1958
Alexander Deussen was born on January 19, 1882, in San Antonio, Texas. He earned his bachelor's degree in 1903 and master's degree in 1904 from The University of Texas at Austin, and went on to teach geology there for ten years. While teaching at UT, Deussen also held the position of assistant geologist in the United States Geological Survey, 1907 to 1915. After this appointment he worked for the Guffey Petroleum Company, which later became the Gulf Oil Corporation. From 1916 on, Deussen spent most of his life as an independent consulting geologist.
Deussen is best known for his study of the Gulf Coastal Plain. He directed the first seismographic survey of the Gulf in 1924 and helped establish one of the earliest laboratories devoted to the study of Gulf Coast sediments. He served as president of the American Association of Petroleum Geologists, 1918 to 1919, and as director of the American Petroleum Institute, 1923 to 1925. He is the namesake for Alexander Deussen Park on Lake Houston, a site of 200 acres he donated in 1954. Deussen died on September 5, 1959, near his ranch home in Ponder, Texas.
Handbook of Texas Online, Kris Ercums, "Deussen, Alexander," accessed May 19, 2016, http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fde67
The Alexander Deussen Papers, 1910-1913, 1957-1958, are comprised of Deussen's field notebook from 1910 to 1913 and of two letters penned by Deussen in 1957 and 1958. The field notebook includes notes, maps, and diagrams, and describes geology, soil, vegetation, and air pressure in Texas counties, particularly South, Southeast, and Central Texas. Travis County is described heavily. A letter from Deussen to Ronald K. DeFord of January 9, 1957, gives some of the early history of the Geology Department at The University of Texas. The papers also include a letter from Deussen to Mrs. John I. Guion, Geology Librarian at UT, of August 1958.
This collection is open for research use.
Alexander Deussen Papers, 1910-1913, 1957-1958, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by archives staff, May 1970.
Subsequent revisions were made by archives staff, April 1986, and Jessi Fishman, May 2016.