A Guide to the UT Department of History Records, 1877-1989
The University of Texas opened its doors for the first time in 1883 with an Academic Department that included six schools and a Law Department. Among the first eight professors on the first faculty was Leslie Waggener, the first professor of history at the University.
The Department of History in the College of Liberal Arts at the University of Texas at Austin currently offers graduate and undergraduate degrees in a variety of history-related fields, including Gender, Sexuality, and Family; International Relations; Medieval and Early Modern Worlds; Mexican American/Latino History; Religion and Culture; and Visual and Material Cultures, among others. The Department is also home to the Frank Denius Normandy Scholar Program on World War II and the Institute for Historical Studies, which organizes international conferences, fosters scholarly presentations, and promotes discussion of and reflections on historical themes, methods, and events.
The University of Texas at Austin - Department of History webpage
The UT Department of History Records, 1877-1989, relate to the daily operations of the Department of History and consist of general and classified correspondence, administrative records, faculty teaching assignments, minutes of university and departmental councils and committees, brochures and bulletins concerning visiting faculty and guests, reports of the department, publications and reviews by history faculty, and correspondence, notices, and newsletters relating to research (both federal and private programs).
The major portion of the collection consists of correspondence produced by the chairmen of the History Department, including Eugene Campbell Barker (1910-1925); Milton Rietow Gutsch (1927-1951); Barnes Fletcher Lathrop (1951-1957); Archibald Ross Lewis (1957-1959); Joe Bertram Frantz (1959-1963); Robert A. Divine (1963-1968); William H. Goetzmann (1968-1969); Standish Meacham (1969-1972); Clarence Lasby (1972-1976); Michael G. Hall (1976-1980); and Lewis Gould (1980-1982).
The collection contains records relating to students and courses, including personal files for Masters and Ph.D. candidates, correspondence, commencement programs, lists of dissertation titles, data sheets for undergraduate history majors, preliminary checks on degree cards, information concerning honor students and programs, and military records and deferment affidavits. There are also enrollment statistics, copies of examinations, grade reports, class registers, lists of textbooks and course outlines, awards, scholarships, and grants.
Also included is documentation relating to the administration and finances of the department, not limited to correspondence, University resource documents, printed material, statistics, reports, building and maintenance materials, and memos from the purchasing office. Furthermore, the records pertain to organizations such as history associations, the American Council of Learned Societies, Phi Alpha Theta, and the Texas State Historical Association. Miscellaneous materials within the records include university and departmental directories, film catalogs, and Dictaphone tapes of speeches of the Second International Congress of Historians of the United States and Mexico.
Access to student files portions of this collection are restricted. Contact repository for further information.
The majority of these records are stored remotely. Advance notice required for retrieval. Contact repository for retrieval.
UT Department of History Records, 1877-1989, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Chester V. Kielman, 1963.
Subsequent revisions were made by Bruce Hupp, 1968; Robert S. Martin, 1975; Sandy Hanner, 1979; Angela Olivera, 1984; and Jessi Fishman, February 2016.