TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the UT Balcones Research Center Annual Reports, 1965-1967
The Balcones Research Center, renamed the J.J. Pickle Research Campus in 1994, is an industrial research campus developed from a magnesium plant built by the federal government during World War II. Today, the campus is a center for civil, electronic, aerospace, mechanical, petroleum, and environmental-health engineering research, as well as research in botany, zoology, paleontology, nuclear physics, chemistry, psychology, atmospheric science, and archaeology.
In 1946 the federal government leased the magnesium plant and its original 402 acres and 29 buildings to UT to “extend and develop the research function of the University for the benefit of the public.” The first part of the new facility came from a National Defense Research Committee laboratory known as the War Research Laboratory or War Physics Laboratory. The purpose of the Laboratory was to solve problems related to airborne gunfire control for the US Air Force. From this project the Military Physics Research Laboratory was born and moved to the Balcones Research Center in 1946.
In 1949 UT purchased the Center from the federal government and it was named the Balcones Research Center in 1953 after the Balcones Escarpment, which runs through the campus. The Center continued to see change in 1964 when the Military Physics Research Laboratory merged with the Defense Research Laboratory and became the largest facility at the center with over 500 employees. Other facilities at the center were the Electrical Engineering Research Laboratory, the Nuclear Physics Research Laboratory, and the Radiobiological Laboratory.
The Board of Regents bought 83 more acres for the center in 1974 and continued to grow by developing unique features for research such as a power supply exceeding the entire UT campus in one building. The center has employed around 1,000 people, has had 100 buildings, and has housed multiple research laboratories. The center has built relationships through technology-transfer projects with companies such as Motorola, Texas Instruments, Sandia National Laboratories, and Sematech. In 1994 the Balcones Research Center was renamed the J.J. Pickle Research Campus after J.J. Pickle, a member of the U.S. House of Representatives who continuously supported the center.
Diana J. Kleiner,"J.J. Pickle Research Campus,"Handbook of Texas Online.Accessed March 4, 2015. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/sqjng.
The Balcones Research Center Annual Reports cover the years 1965-1967. At this time in the Reserach Center's history, the Military Physics Research Laboratory had just merged with the Defense Research Laboratory. The two laboratories were renamed the Applied Research Laboratories. This laboratory became the largest activity at the center. Within this collection there is also a publication by Walter E. Long published in 1962 entitled, "From a Magnesium Plant to a Research Center".
Diana J. Kleiner,"J.J. Pickle Research Campus,"Handbook of Texas Online.Accessed March 4, 2015. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/sqjng
This collection is open for research use.
UT Balcones Research Center Annual Reports, 1965-1967, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by archives staff.