TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the UT Athletic Department Records, 1897-1916, 1940, 1989-1990
The football club at the University of Texas, first known as the Texas Varsity, was formed as an unofficial, student-run team circa 1893. In November 1893, the Dallas football club challenged the UT club to their first notable game, a Thanksgiving Day match at the Dallas Fairgrounds. The UT club won against Dallas with a score of 18-16. The club played and won three other games that year. In 1894, donations from alumni were used to hire a seasonal coach, R.D. Wentworth, and purchase uniforms. The team’s colors at the time were gold and white.
In 1895, the team became an official university club with the creation of the Athletic Council. In 1900, the Board of Regents declared orange and white as the official team colors. Also at the turn of the century, Clark Field was purchased for the team. The team began to be referred to in newspapers, especially The Daily Texan, as the Longhorns circa 1900 and the name was officially adopted in 1906.
"1893-1899" and "1900-1909." Longhorn Legacy: 100 Years of Football Programs. Education Resources. College of Education. University of Texas at Austin. Accessed June 25, 2013. http://www.edb.utexas.edu/resources/longhornlegacy/1893.html.
"History – UT RecSports." Division of Recreational Sports, University of Texas at Austin. Accessed May 12, 2014. http://www.utrecsports.org/about/history.
The UT Athletic Department Records consist of scrapbooks, oversize scrapbook pages, and photographic prints of UT football players and other individuals and events related to the team primarily from 1897 to 1916.
The "Football Team" scrapbook comprises news clippings and broadsides from 1901 to 1908. Several clippings are about the UT game against players from what is now Haskell Indian Nations University. In addition to news clippings, the second scrapbook contains songbooks, souvenir sports event programs, pamphlets, and a seating chart for Memorial Stadium circa 1916.
Additionally, the records contain a poster for the 1989-1990 UT Lady Longhorns basketball team.
This collection is open for research use.
UT Athletic Department Records, 1897-1916, 1940, 1989-1990, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by archives staff.
Subsequent revisions were made by Lynn Bell, January 1993; Vanessa Attia, March 2014.