TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the UT Botany Photographs, 1907-1917 (bulk 1912-1913)
The study of botany at the University of Texas dates back to the earliest years of the university, with the first botanist joining the university staff in the late 1890s. During the 20th century, the Department of Botany amassed one of the largest herbariums in the United States, the Plant Resources Center.
The UT Botany Photographs consist of approximately 600 5x7 glass negatives and 5 lantern slides ranging in date from 1907 to 1917 (bulk 1912-1913), primarily showing plant diseases. F. D. (Frederick DeForest) Heald, a specialist in plant pathology and the head of the university’s botany department for several years during the early 20th century, photographed many of the images. Other photographers include H. H. York, likely Harlan Harvey York, a botanist who taught at the university. Slides contain some or all of the following information: date, time of day the image was taken, the length of exposure, the lighting conditions, the subject, location, and the photographer. Several, if not all, images were taken in Texas, including a number photographed in Austin.
Use of photographic glass negatives and lantern slides by appointment only; please contact photo archivist for more information.
UT Botany Photographs, circa 1907-1917, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Amy Bowman, May 2014.
This collection contains unprocessed materials.