TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the UT Army ROTC Scrapbooks, 1947-2010 (bulk 1960s)
An Army ROTC unit was activated at The University of Texas at Austin on July 1, 1947. Cadets were to train for a commission in the Engineer, Quartermaster, Transportation, and Military Police Corp. UT became affiliated with the Ordinance Corp in December 1985.
During the 1950s, a new building was completed specifically for the use by the three ROTC units. In 1965, construction was completed on a new rifle range adjacent to the ROTC building.
During the Vietnam conflict, Army ROTC enrollment increased, reaching a high of 423 in 1968. Many of these cadets served in Vietnam and four lost their lives. The ROTC building was named for one of these, 1st Lieutenant Russell A. Steindam, who was awarded the Congressional Medal of Honor.
Following the Vietnam era enrollment decreased and cross enrollment programs were established at several local colleges. These programs remain in effect at Concordia Lutheran College, St. Edward’s University, and Austin Community College.
U.S. Army. "The University of Texas at Austin: Army ROTC." Go Army. Accessed January 27, 2014. http://www.goarmy.com/rotc/schools/the-university-of-texas-at-austin/history.html.
Scrapbooks contain photographs, clippings, programs, and other material chronicling the activities of the University of Texas Army ROTC, including the women’s auxiliary Cordettes, from 1947 to 2010. The bulk of the material is from the 1960s and relates to award presentations, company review lines, military balls, Round-Up parades, the ROTC band, female sponsors, the rifle team, and the Air Force ROTC. The collection also includes photographs and programs created since 1980 that were not formally incorporated into the eight primary scrapbooks.
This collection is open for research use.
UT Army ROTC Scrapbooks, 1947-2010 (bulk 1960s), Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Vanessa Attia, January 2014.