TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the UT Little Campus Dormitory Collection, 1929-1933, 1962-1990
Little Campus Dormitory was a complex of buildings originally built in 1858 as the Texas Asylum for the Blind and later used as a men’s dormitory for the University of Texas at Austin circa 1926 to 1951. During the First World War, the School of Military Aeronautics operated out of Little Campus and a barracks was built on the site. The buildings were used as the State Hospital for the Senile for a few years following the war and were then purchased by the University. The construction of Little Residence Hall (a women’s dormitory) in the mid-1920s prompted the renovation of the buildings in Little Campus into a men’s dormitory capable of housing 100 residents. The Little Campus Dormitory Association, composed of the dorm’s residents, was organized each semester to plan social functions and intramurals. Reunions of the LCDA were held as early as the mid-1970s.
"An Overview of Housing at the University of Texas." Division of Housing and Food Services. University of Texas at Austin. Accessed August 19, 2013. http://www.utexas.edu/student/housing/index.php?id=725&scode=0&site=0.
Cactus. Austin: Texas Student Publications, Inc., 1930.
Pickel, J.J. Jake. (Austin: University of Texas Press, 1997), 17.
The UT Little Campus Dormitory Collection contains correspondence, photographic prints, slides, and negatives, clippings, newsletters, a scrapbook, receipts, and printed materials related to the Little Campus Dormitory (LCD) at the University of Texas at Austin and LCD Association reunions. Newspaper clippings and the copies of the Little Campus Free Press date from 1929-1933 and 1962. Correspondence by James Jarrell (J.J.) Pickle and other materials regarding reunions and the LCDA cover the years from 1975 to 1990.
This collection is open for research use.
Use of photographic negatives, slides, and transparencies by appointment only; please contact photo archivist for more information.
UT Little Campus Dormitory Collection, 1929-1933, 1962-1990, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Andrew J. Damico, June 1996.
Subsequent revisions were made by Vanessa Attia, August 2013.