A Guide to the F.E. "Ernest" Ruffini Specifications, 1882
Architect Frederick Ernst Ruffini was raised in Cleveland, Ohio and it was there that he received his architectural training. He moved to Austin, Texas in 1877 as partner to Jasper N. Preston and after two years began to practice as an independent architect. His offices were located in the Hancock Building on West Pecan Street (what is now West Sixth Street). He was the architect of Austin buildings such as the Millett Opera House, the Texas School for the Deaf, the Hancock Building on West Pecan Street, the Hancock Opera House, and the Old Main Building of the University of Texas. Construction on Old Main began in 1882. Ruffini died on November 16, 1885 after only the west wing of the building had been completed. After his death, the rest of the Old Main was completed according to his plans.
Drury Blake Alexander, "RUFFINI, FREDERICK ERNST,"Handbook of Texas Online (http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fru08), accessed June 30, 2013. Published by the Texas State Historical Association.
Materials consist of the 1882 specifications for the west wing of the Old Main Building of the University of Texas by architect F.E. Ruffini.
This collection is open for research use.
F.E. "Ernest" Ruffini Specifications, 1882, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by archives staff.
Subsequent revisions were made by Vanessa Attia, July 2013.
Detailed Description of the Papers