TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the UT Football Scrapbook, 1893-1896
The football club at the University of Texas, also known then as the Texas Varsity, was formed as an unofficial, student-run team circa 1893. In November 1893, the Dallas football club challenged the UT club to their first notable game, a Thanksgiving Day match at the Dallas Fairgrounds. The UT club won against Dallas with a score of 18-16. The club played and won three other games that year. In 1894, donations from alumni were used to hire a seasonal coach, R.D. Wentworth, and purchase uniforms. The team’s colors at the time were gold and white.
In 1895, the team became an official university club with the creation of the Athletic Council. The team began to be referred to in newspapers, especially The Daily Texan, as the Longhorns circa 1900 and the name was officially adopted in 1906.
"1893-1899." Longhorn Legacy: 100 Years of Football Programs. Education Resources. College of Education. University of Texas at Austin. Accessed June 25, 2013. http://www.edb.utexas.edu/resources/longhornlegacy/1893.html
The UT Football Scrapbook documents the early years of the UT football club, then called the Texas Varsity, from 1893 to 1896. Materials include game programs, a ticket, and newspaper clippings of articles about the featured games. Clippings also include photographs and woodcut illustrations of player moves, as well as printed diagrams of the playing field.
This collection is open for research use.
UT Football Scrapbook, 1893-1896, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by Ralph Elder, December 1986.
Subsequent revisions were made by Vanessa Attia, June 2013.