A Guide to the University of Texas Law School News Sheets, 1943-1945
The University of Texas School of Law began as the University of Texas at Austin's Department of Law when the University was founded in 1883. The Department started with two professors and fifty-two students in the basement of the University's Old Main Building. The Department appointed its first dean, John C. Townes, in 1901, and moved out of the basement and into its own building in 1908. The Department of Law became the School of Law in 1920.
By 1935, it had become one of the largest law schools in the United States. In 1952 construction began on Townes Hall. Two additional buildings were later added: Jones Hall, completed in 1981, which became home to the Tarlton Law Library; and the Connally Center, dedicated in 2001, which houses the Eidman Courtroom, the Advocacy Program (1978-), and Clinical Legal Education (1974-).
"A Brief History of the Law School." About. School of Law. University of Texas at Austin. Accessed May 29, 2013. http://www.utexas.edu/law/about/history.html.
These records contain University of Texas Law School faculty and alumni newsletters, also called "news sheets," from March 1943 to August 1945.
This collection is open for research use.
University of Texas Law School News Sheets, 1943-1945, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by archives staff.
Subsequent revisions were made by Vanessa Attia, June 2013.
Detailed Description of the Papers