TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the UT School of Law Records, 1883-1896, 1981
The University of Texas School of Law began as the University of Texas at Austin's Department of Law when the University was founded in 1883. The Department started with two professors and fifty-two students in the basement of the University's Old Main Building. The Department appointed its first dean, John C. Townes, in 1901, and moved out of the basement and into its own building in 1908. The Department of Law became the School of Law in 1920.
By 1935, it had become one of the largest law schools in the United States. In 1952 construction began on Townes Hall. Two additional buildings were later added: Jones Hall, completed in 1981, which became home to the Tarlton Law Library; and the Connally Center, dedicated in 2001, which houses the Eidman Courtroom, the Advocacy Program (established 1978), and Clinical Legal Education (established 1974).
"A Brief History of the Law School." About. School of Law. University of Texas at Austin. Accessed May 29, 2013. http://www.utexas.edu/law/about/history.html.
The University of Texas School of Law Records document the early history of legal education at UT from 1883 to 1896 through moot court case proceedings and minutes, in addition to four reel-to-reel tape recordings of the 1981 Law Library dedication.
This collection is open for research use.
Use of audio material by appointment only; please contact sound archivist for more information.
UT School of Law Records, 1883-1896, 1981, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
This collection was processed by archives staff, 1968; 1981; 1986; 2004.
Subsequent revisions were made by Vanessa Attia, May 2013.