A Guide to the Rutersville College Records, 1835-1885
Rutersville College, once located in Rutersville, Fayette County, was the first chartered Protestant college in Texas. The coeducational school opened on the last week of January 1840, with 63 students and by 1841 the number of students enrolled reached 100. Enrollment reached 194 by 1844–45, but Indian attacks, departure of students for the Mexican War, and the establishment of Baylor University in 1845 caused the college to go into decline. In 1856 the college consolidated with Texas Military Institute, Galveston, and the Texas Monumental Committee at La Grange to form the Texas Monumental and Military Institute. In 1883 the Rutersville campus was purchased by the Southern German Conference of the Methodist Church, which operated it as a conference school until 1894, when the school was closed.
Handbook of Texas Online, Judson S. Custer, "Rutersville College," accessed December 02, 2016.
The Rutersville College Records, 1835-1885, include correspondence, deeds, field notes, and minutes that document the administration and history of the college. The majority of the letters are to and from William G. Webb. Several interesting ones are written from the front by William P. Jarmon of Terry's Texas Rangers. J. C. Brown had the duty of winding up the affairs of Rutersville College and several letters are written to him in regard to the land and arms of the College. The bound volumes of minutes give the official records of the board. Legal documents, a muster roll, a certificate, a marriage license, reports, a promissory note, a resolution, an account paper, articles of agreement, proceedings, broadsides, and a catalog can also be found.
This collection is open for research use.
Rutersville College Records, 1835-1885, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Detailed Description of the Papers