A Guide to the James Harvey Robertson Papers, 1895-1906, and undated
Born in Roane County, Tennessee to J. R. Robertson and Mary Hunt, James Harvey Robertson (1853-1912) moved to Austin, Texas, in 1874. A year later, he was admitted to the bar and established a law practice in Round Rock, where he and his wife Susie Marsh Townsend raised their six children. Following Robertson’s election as a representative of Williamson County in the Eighteenth Texas Legislature in 1882, he served as district attorney for Travis County from 1884 through 1890. In 1891, he was appointed district judge, a position he held for four years before entering a law partnership with James Stephen Hogg. Additionally, Robertson represented Travis County in the House from 1907 through 1911.
Connor, Seymour V. "Robertson, James Harvey."Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed August 15, 2011. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fro27.
Composed of correspondence, a letterpress, telegrams, broadsides, pamphlets, legal records, and a map, the James Harvey Robertson Papers, 1895-1906, and undated, document Robertson’s activities as an attorney and politician. Correspondence, the letterpress, and telegrams concern business affairs, including his law practice with James Stephen Hogg, while broadsides and pamphlets relate to the law firm as well as other businesses in Williamson and Travis counties. Additionally, legal documents relate to criminal cases, land transactions, and civil suits, and a map illustrates property in Fort Bend, Texas.
This collection is open for research use.
James Harvey Robertson Papers, 1895-1906, and undated, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers