A Guide to the Kirchenbuch der Protestantischen Gemeinde Neu Branfels (Tex.), [ca. 1938-1939]
Founded in 1845, the first Protestant Church of New Braunfels, Texas, developed under the direction of German Pastor Louis Cachand-Ervendberg, who had emigrated to the United States in 1839. By 1850, the church counted approximately 136 families, mostly of German descent. Originally constructed out of cedar, the church was later rebuilt in limestone from a local quarry around 1870.
Haas, Oscar. The First Protestant Church: Its History and its People. New Braunfels, Tex.: Zeitung, 1955.
Four bound typescripts compose the Kirchenbuch der Protestantischen Gemeinde Neu Branfels (Tex.), [ca. 1938-1939], documenting the history of the first Protestant Church in New Braunfels, Texas, during the mid- to late 19th century. Consisting of the baptismal and death records of its parishioners, the first and second volumes provide genealogical and health information on German Americans living in New Braunfels, while the third volume contains birth records and lists of individuals involved in church events, including Christmas and Easter services. Additionally, the fourth volume provides an index of individuals mentioned in the other volumes.
This collection is open for research use.
Kirchenbuch der Protestantischen Gemeinde Neu Branfels (Tex.), [ca. 1938-1939], Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers