TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Blaine S. Hollimon, Jr., Collection, 1918-1966
A native of Texas, Blaine Speights Hollimon, Jr. (1910-1974) attended school in Ennis, Texas, winning the second Extemporaneous Speaking State Championship at the University Interscholastic League for the 1924-1925 school year. He received his master’s degree from the University of Texas at Austin (UT) in 1931, and in the mid-1930s, he worked for Senator Tom Connally and on the Senate’s Committee on Public Buildings. During the 1940s, he became a member of the state bar and licensed to practice law in front of the Supreme Court of Texas. By 1952, Hollimon worked for the California Texas Oil Co., Ltd., living in both the Philippines and Texas. He was also a life member of the Texas State Historical Association and UT’s Ex-students’ Association.
Comprising correspondence, printed material, postcards, a photograph, and philatelic specimens, the Blaine S. Hollimon, Jr., Collection, 1918-1966, document Hollimon’s work for Senator Tom Connally in Washington, D. C., as well as his interests in world travel and stamp-collecting. Correspondence, 1931-1938, 1952, contains thank you notes, letters on behalf of Connally, copies of congressional bills and Connally’s speeches, as well as personal missives with friends and family. Printed material, 1923-1962, consists of his Texas driver’s licenses, Supreme Court of Texas attorney cards, pocket maps, political campaign material, newspaper articles, pamphlets, programs, and publications. Postcards depict the Washington Cathedral, Hogback Mountain in South Carolina, the Philippines, and Turkey, while a 1931 photograph portrays Sen. Connally, Thomas W. Lamont, and Sen. Thomas P. Gore. Philatelic specimens include empty mailed envelopes and cancelled stamps primarily from the United States as well as Antarctica, England, Ireland, and the Philippines.
This collection is open for research use.
Blaine S. Hollimon, Jr., Collection, 1918-1966, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.