A Guide to the J. T. Goforth Papers, 1901-1905, 1918
In the 1870s, James Taylor Goforth (1849-1915) established the town of Gofoth, Texas, located near present-day Buda, in the 1870s. When the post office was established in 1890, he served as postmaster. Goforth operated a general store until 1894 and opened the Goforth Supply Company in 1897. In 1905, he and his wife Lucinda built a home in San Marcos, now known as the Goforth-Harris House, which they sold to Thomas Green and Lon Harris in 1913. Goforth later founded a gin and milling company, which closed in 1926 upon the abandonment of the town due to crop failure.
Texas Historical Commission. "Goforth." Texas Historic Sites Atlas. Accessed June 1, 2011. http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/common/viewform.asp?atlas_num=5209010277&site_name=Goforth&class=5000.
Texas Gustirucak Commission. "Goforth-Harris House." Texas Historic Sites Atlas. Accessed June 1, 2011. http://atlas.thc.state.tx.us/common/viewform.asp?atlas_ num=2083004497&site_name=Goforth-Harris+House&class=2001.
Composed of financial documents and voting records, the J. T. Goforth Papers, 1901-1905, 1918, chronicle the business transactions of the general store Goforth Supply Company in Goforth, Hays County, Texas. The financial documents, 1901-1905, comprise checks, bank statements, and deposit receipts for the Goforth Supply Company at the Austin National Bank. A poll list, a tally list, and an election return, 1918, illuminate the voting record of eighteen identified Goforth residents in Hays County Precinct No. 15 for the general election of 1918.
This collection is open for research use.
J. T. Goforth Papers, 1901-1905, 1918, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers