A Guide to the Leo M. J. Dielmann Papers, 1904-1958
Born to John Charles and Maria (Gros) Dielmann in San Antonio, Texas, Leo Maria Joseph Dielmann (1881-1969) graduated from St. Mary's College in 1898 before studying architecture and engineering in Germany. Appointed city building inspector of San Antonio in 1909, he also served as a city alderman for two years. Early in his career, Dielmann worked at his father's building materials firm. He then devoted himself to architectural design, particularly for churches, for the first half of the 20th century. Among his designs across Texas are the Fort Sam Houston Post Chapel; the Conventual Chapel, the Science Hall, and other buildings at Our Lady of the Lake University in San Antonio; and St. Mary's Catholic Church in Fredericksburg. Dielmann was also a trustee of the San Antonio Public Library, a member of the Texas Society of Architects, and president of Harmonia Lodge of the Sons of Hermann in Texas.
Strong, Bernice. "Dielmann, Leo Maria Joseph." Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed May 17, 2011.
Correspondence, lodge records, and clippings compose the Leo M. J. Dielmann Papers, 1904-1958, documenting Dielmann's career as a San Antonio, Texas, architect; membership in the Sons of Hermann; and other interests. Clippings from San Antonio, Southern, and German-language newspapers include advertisements for Dielmann's architecture firm and J. C. Dielmann Co. as well as articles describing his work and relating to Catholicism and the Sons of Hermann, among other topics. Records of the Harmonia Lodge of the Sons of Hermann, of which Dielmann was president, include election ballots, correspondence, fliers for events, notes, and delegate lists. Additionally, the collection contains two letters in German to Dielmann.
This collection is open for research use.
Leo M. J. Dielmann Papers, 1904-1958, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers