TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Larkin Cleveland Deed, 1856
Born in Giles County, Tennessee, Larkin Green Cleveland (1817-1882) was the son of Carter Harrison Cleveland and Mary Smith. In 1840, he married Mary Maull, with whom he had eight children. During the 1850s, the couple moved to Polk County, Texas, where Cleveland worked as a merchant, farmer, and county commissioner. After moving to Coldspring in 1860, he enlisted in Company D of the 1st Texas Infantry State Troop Regiment of the Confederate Army three years later. Following the Civil War, Cleveland was appointed a judge in Coldspring before moving to Dallas County, Alabama, in 1880.
Derbes, Brett J. "Cleveland, Larkin Green."Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed May 16, 2011. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fcl59.
The Larkin Cleveland Deed, 1856, documents Cleveland’s acquisition of land in Gonzalez County, Texas. The deed transferred land originally owned by James F. and Frances Barton and James B. Patrick to Cleveland.
This collection is open for research use.
Larkin Cleveland Deed, 1856, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.