TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Capitol Hotel (Houston) Letterhead, 1854
After the seat of government for the Republic of Texas moved from Houston to Austin in 1839, the Houston capitol building was renovated to become the Capitol Hotel. In the 1870s, it was razed and rebuilt by J. L. Barnes in 1882. Three years later, the hotel was purchased by William M. Rice, who renamed it the Rice Hotel. The site is currently recorded on the National Register for Historic Places.
"Landmarks - Old Houston." Houston History. Accessed May 10, 2011. http://www.houstonhistory.com/preservation/landmarks/history9a.htm.
The Capitol Hotel (Houston) Letterhead, 1854, consists of a letter written by a patron of the hotel to a family member. The letter describes traveling from New Orleans, Louisiana, to Austin, Texas, as well as providing observations of Galveston and Houston.
This collection is open for research use.
Capitol Hotel (Houston) Letterhead, 1854, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.