A Guide to the Lone Star Real Estate and Colonization Company Records, 1874-1877
Officially organized on March 22, 1877, the Lone Star Real Estate and Colonization Company, a land speculation firm, operated until 1904. Though it had an office in Austin, Texas, the company's owners, including president T. C. Reade, secretary T. S. Milhouse, vice-president and attorney A. P. Ashbrook, and treasurer W. P. Milhouse, controlled the company from Indiana and Ohio. Between 1878 and 1880, the Lone Star Real Estate and Colonization Company patented approximately 131 sections of Texas land in the name of the company and its officers under the Fifty Cent Act, which sold Texas public lands at fifty cents an acre to finance the public debt and a permanent school fund.
Abbe, Donald. "Ranching and Speculation in Lynn County, Texas, 1876-1930." In Working the range: essays on the history of Western land management and the environment, edited by John R. Wunder, 81. Westport, Conn.: Greenwood Press, 1985.
A bound ledger composes the Lone Star Real Estate and Colonization Company Records, 1874-1877, documenting the early history of the Texas land speculation firm. The ledger includes a charter encouraging immigration into Texas, the company's constitution and by-laws, meeting minutes, and sales records by county.
This collection is open for research use.
Lone Star Real Estate and Colonization Company Records, 1874-1877, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers