TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the W. B. and Ada Green Goforth Mercantile Ledgers, 1898-1905
In the 1870s, merchant James Taylor Goforth established the town of Goforth in Hays County, Texas, northeast of San Marcos,. Under later management, Goforth's own general store closed with the 1894 opening of the Goforth Supply Company. Despite being bypassed by rail lines, the store flourished as the town grew into a cotton ginning and milling center until extensive crop failure in 1925 and 1926 caused most local farmers to abandon their land. The Goforth Supply Company closed with stock still on its shelves as Goforth became a ghost town.
Texas Historical Commission. "Goforth." Texas Historic Sites Atlas. Accessed April 19, 2011.
The four volumes of the W. B. and Ada Green Goforth Mercantile Ledgers, 1898-1905, chronicle financial transactions and accounts of the Goforth Supply Company, a mercantile store in Goforth, Texas, at the turn of the century.
This collection is open for research use.
W. B. and Ada Green Goforth Mercantile Ledgers, 1898-1905, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.