A Guide to the Texas School for the Blind Records, 1878, 1917
Established in Austin in 1856, the Texas School for the Blind, now the Texas State School for the Blind and Visually Impaired, strives to provide all blind and visually impaired students in Texas with the skills and knowledge to enjoy fulfilling and satisfying lives.
Comprised of two letters, the Texas School for the Blind Records, 1878, 1917, document two specific episodes in the school’s history. An 1878 letter written by Frank Rainey, the Superintendent of the Texas School for the Blind, to F. J. Campbell regards the efficacy of piano training for the blind. A photocopy of a 1917 letter from school superintendent E. E. Bramlett recommends Atlee B. Ayers, the school’s architect, to W. F. Barnett of the State Orphan House.
This collection is open for research use.
Texas School for the Blind Records, 1878, 1917, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers