TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the John Sutherland Papers, 1832-1879, 1913, 1934.
Physician Dr. John Sutherland, Jr. (1792-1867) was born to John and Agnes Sutherland near Danville, Pittsylvania County, Virginia. In 1816, he married Diana Kennedy in Knox County, Tennessee, and, after her death, moved to Texas in 1829 with his brother George Sutherland. With his son William, Sutherland settled in San Antonio in 1835, and treated members of the Alamo garrison. Col. William Travis sent him to return with reinforcements, but he returned after the fall of the Alamo and the death of his son. In 1837, Sutherland moved to Egypt, Texas, and married Ann Bryant Lane a year later. After her death in 1840, he married Ann Margaret Dickson in Colorado County in 1841. In 1849, he purchased land east of San Antonio, which became known as Sutherland Springs. In 1860 Sutherland wrote The Fall of the Alamo, which was published in 1936.
Source: McCaslin, Richard B., “Sutherland, John, Jr.,” Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed on April 11, 2011. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fsu07.
Original and photocopies of correspondence, publications, and family records compose the John Sutherland Papers, 1832-1879, 1913, 1934, documenting the history of the Sutherland family in Texas. Letters include a valedictory oration to East Tennessee College by James P. N. Craighead (1832), a letter from John Sutherland concerning the Mexican invasion of Texas (1842), an indenture belonging to Sutherland (1843), a teacher certificate (1879), and a verb conjugation list. Photocopies of correspondence include a letter from David K. Sutherland concerning the death of his daughter, Sarah Agnes (1851). Sutherland family records include a photocopy of an undated photograph and a biography of Sutherland. Publications consist of a bound transcription of The Fall of the Alamo (1934) and an issue of The Alamo magazine (1913).
This collection is open for research use.
John Sutherland Papers, 1832-1879, 1913, 1934, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.