A Guide to the Dorothy McRae Depwe Collection, 1844-1875, 1888, 1897, 1950-1989
A native of Austin, Texas, Dorothy McRae married Stanley Massie Depwe on May 29, 1953. The couple resided in West Lake Hills with their two sons, David and Robert. In addition to Stanley’s work as a photographer, the couple established the West Lake Beach, a picnic and marina located on Lake Austin in the 1950s. Dorothy was also actively involved in her community, being chairman of the Eanes’ Sesquicentennial Committee, while conducting historical and genealogical research for the publication Eanes: Portrait of a Community (1986).
"Stanley Massie Depwe." West Lake Beach. Accessed March 28, 2011. http://www.westlakebeachonlakeaustin.com/visitwlb/stanley-04.htm.
Comprised of correspondence, legal documents, newspaper and magazine clippings, notes, printed material, maps, and photographs, the Dorothy McRae Depwe Collection, 1844-1875, 1888, 1897, 1950-1989, chronicles Depwe’s research on the history of Travis County, Texas, and the Eanes community in Austin; the Eanes Independent School District; genealogy of several families associated with the Eanes community; and her involvement in various volunteer committees in the Austin area. Correspondence concerns the Texas Sesquicentennial celebration in 1986, genealogical research Eanes, Campbell, Halladay, and Howell families, as well as other social and civic engagements. Photostats and photocopies of 19th century legal documents consist primarily of deeds and conveyances, while maps document historical markers in Travis County. Additionally, the collection contains newspapers and magazine clippings pertaining to social and historical issues of the Eanes community; printed items, which include a copy of Eanes: Portrait of a Community; and photographs depicting individuals and places associated with Eanes.
This collection is open for research use.
Dorothy McRae Depwe Collection, 1844-1875, 1888, 1897, 1950-1989, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers