A Guide to the Myron G. Blalock Collection, 1940-1947
Born in Grange Hall, Texas, Myron Geer Blalock (1891-1950), was the son of William Meredith Blalock and Willie Henry Boothe. While attaining his bachelor’s (1914) and law degrees (1916) at the University of Texas at Austin, Blalock began his career as a politician. From 1913 through 1918, he served in the Texas House of Representatives for the 126th district. During this time, he also married Bertha Mary Storey, with whom he had three children. Following Blalock’s service as a major in the United States Army in World War I, he established a law practice in Marshall and was elected chief justice of the Sixth District of the Texas Court of Civil Appeals in 1932. A noted Texas Democrat, Blalock was appointed the chairman of the Democratic National Campaign Committee in Texas during the 1936 and 1940 presidential campaigns. In 1938, he rejoined the army, serving in the Texas National Guard and the Thirty-sixth Infantry Division until his retirement in 1943. Blalock practiced law in Marshall from 1948 until his death in 1950.
Odintz, Mark. "Blalock, Myron Geer."Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed March 18, 2011. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fbl13.
Comprised of photocopies of correspondence, minutes, a resolution, and a speech, the Myron G. Blalock Collection, 1940-1947, documents Blalock’s political career. The vast majority of correspondence concerns Blalock in his capacity as the Texas Democratic National Committee chairman, and pertains to both the national and Texas Democratic Conventions (1940-1947). The collection also contains minutes of the Texas Democratic State Convention, including the party’s resolution (1944) and a political speech by Blalock advocating John Nance Garner for president (1940).
Photocopied from original manuscripts at the Franklin D. Roosevelt Presidential Library and Museum.
This collection is open for research use.
Myron G. Blalock Collection, 1940-1947, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers