A Guide to the Texas State Library and Archives Papers, 1926, 1930, 1957-1959
Founded by the Texas Legislature in 1909, the Texas State Library and Historical Commission became the Texas State Library and Archives Commission (TSLAC) in 1979. As a supervisory body over the Texas State Library, the commission collects items pertaining to Texas history and advocates their collections through published material and promoting Texas history. In addition to managing the records of several state departments, TSLAC also facilitates the development of library associations, while denoting and preserving historical sites throughout Texas. Originally comprised of five officers appointed by the governor, a sixth member was added in 1953.
Smith, Dick. "Texas State Library and Archives Commission."Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed March 7, 2011. http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/mdt28.
Comprised of correspondence, reports, a legislative bill, historical narratives, index, and a photograph, the Texas State Library and Archives Papers, 1926, 1930, 1957-1959, chronicle the Texas State Library and Historical Commission’s efforts to construct a new State library and archives building and its engagement with researchers on topics relating to Texas history. Correspondence from Representative Raymond Russell concerns the introduction of a bill to build the new structure for the commission, while other letters between archivist Winnie Allen and architect H. Clinton Parrent, Jr., relate to plans for the Tennessee State Library and Archives building. Reports pertaining to the construction of the library and archives and include architectural designs, while a draft of a legislative bill discusses the legal necessity of the State Librarian to dispose of any state records more than ten years old. The collection contains an index to reference questions regarding the Texas Almanac and volumes 1-6 of Texas Magazine, as well as an historical narrative on the Texas flag, seal, flower, and song, "Texas Our Texas." In addition, a 1959 photograph depicts breaking ground for the new building.
This collection is open for research use.
Texas State Library and Archives Papers, 1926, 1930, 1957-1959, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s "History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light" project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers