A Guide to the Texas Academy of Science Records, 1892-1943
Organized in 1892, the Texas Academy of Science at the University of Texas at Austin was originally comprised of fourteen founding scientists who were dedicated to researching and solving problems presented to them by the state. The objects of the academy were "to advance the exact and natural sciences both by research and discussion." Through its twenty-year existence two donors supported the Academy, George W. Brackenridge and Mrs. George Bruce Halsted. The Academy disbanded in 1913.
Handbook of Texas Online. Accessed March 7, 2011.
The Texas Academy of Science Records, 1892-1943, comprise letters, records, minutes, broadsides, articles and scrapbooks and clippings that document the social, financial, business and intellectual affairs of the Texas Academy of Science. Notable members include Edwin T. Dumble, Thomas U. Taylor, Frederic W. Simonds, James C. Nagle and Harry Yandell Benedict.
This collection is open for research use.
These records are stored remotely. Advance notice required for retrieval. Contact repository for retrieval.
Texas Academy of Science Records, 1892-1943, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project, 2009-2011.
Detailed Description of the Papers