TABLE OF CONTENTS
A Guide to the Swan Land and Cattle Company Stockholders’ Reports, 1926-1934
Organized in the United Kingdom in 1883, the Swan Land and Cattle Company invested in the trade of land, sheep, cattle, and horses in the western United States, headquartering its American office in Chugwater, Wyoming. In 1926, the American board of directors abandoned the British charter and established the Swan Company, also headquartered in Chugwater, but chartered under the laws of the state of Delaware. The new company focused on sheep breeding and the production of wool, primarily purchasing land for grazing, cattle for milk, and horses for sheepherding. Officers of the company included John Clay, president; Frank H. Connor, vice president, secretary, and treasurer; and Curtis Templin, manager.
The Swan Land and Cattle Company Stockholders’ Reports, 1926-1934, comprise one Photostat letter and nine printed annual stockholders’ reports for the American board of the Swan Land and Cattle Company and its successor, the Swan Company, in Chugwater, Wyoming. Each annual report, 1926-1933, itemizes the company’s profits and losses; the worth of its property, assets, stocks, and bonds; the number of sheep, cattle, and horses bought and sold; the acres of land purchased for grazing; and the weight of wool produced. Additionally, a 1934 letter from Curtis Templin, manager of the Swan Company, to J. Evetts Haley, historian at the University of Texas, briefly describes the reports and the history of company.
This collection is open for research use.
Swan Land and Cattle Company Stockholders’ Reports, 1926-1934, Dolph Briscoe Center for American History, The University of Texas at Austin.
Basic processing and cataloging of this collection was supported with funds from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC) for the Briscoe Center’s “History Revealed: Bringing Collections to Light project,” 2009-2011.